Sunday, July 01, 2007

Fruit and Toothpaste

I was thinking earlier that I should write more posts about things I like. For example, we go to a lot of restaurants and get a lot of delivery/take-out (mostly due to the nature of the job and grocery shopping), so I should write more about things I like. Also, I used to go to the grocery store and Walgreens so often, and would go aisle by aisle, noticing every new product (yes, I went to the grocery store that often and paid that much attention). I had posted about this sporadically (usually things I didn't like!) and was thinking that maybe I should do it more, even if just for my own records.

So today I'm going to start.

(And for the things I don't like... I may or may not name them. Meaning that I might describe it instead of name it, because maybe I just had one bad experience that's not representative of the restaurant or product or whatever that I'm describing. I think the line I'm drawing at the moment is between national corporations and family owned businesses. For example, the "don't like" below, I'm willing to name Colgate, because really, this isn't going to hurt them. However, talking about delivery from one of the Thai shops in the neighborhood, which I think I posted about a long time ago, I'm not going to name names. You could always ask me elsewhere, but I may not name them here).

I like...McDonalds Fruit and Walnut Salad - Snack Size



This afternoon I went for a walk/run in Central Park (the "run" part didn't happen so much since I am still getting over being sick and just could not take it) and then walked home. I was in need of a snack, since the only thing I had all day was a tuna sandwich and a Fruitabu, so I intended to stop at McDonalds (mostly because I only had a credit card and they reliably take credit cards). I figured I would end up getting a snack wrap or a hamburger, something small, so I could still eat dinner when Alvin was done with ultimate.

My plans changed when I walked in and saw a sign for the fruit and walnut snack size salad. I remembered hearing about a fruit and walnut salad before, but I had thought it was like a green salad with fruits and walnuts as some of the toppings and I had never really paid attention, because I'm not a big fan of walnuts. The snack size package looked good though, good enough for me to drop the hamburger/snack wrap idea and try it.

It's perfect for a snack. (I googled it and it sounds like people had some issues with the original size, but I really liked it). It appears they have replaced the original size with the snack size. It had 3 compartments - one with apple slices and grapes (I don't mind that it's only apples and grapes, I used to buy the packages of apple dippers, so it's pretty much the same), a smaller compartment with candied walnuts in little pieces (I had thought the salad had big walnuts, so this was a plus), and a compartment with lowfat yogurt. All combined I thought it was great. The fruit and yogurt were refreshing after having walked about 9 miles and it was a good size for a snack. Does anyone know if they serve this or the fruit & yogurt parfait for breakfast? It would be a lot healthier than that sausage biscuit I get in the morning...

I don't like...Colgate Sparkling White Mint Zing toothpaste



Sigh. I wanted to like this. I think I got this on a Walgreens rebate (like so many other products, this is how I try them out), and since I like mint toothpastes and whitening toothpastes, I did want to like this.

But it burned my mouth. Literally!

Granted, I had been trying this when I had been undergoing a bit of dental work, but still. It burned the insides of my cheeks! How can you want to brush your teeth knowing it's going to sting and burn so much that it would make you cry?

Now, Alvin has no problem with this toothpaste, so it's clearly not burning everyone. But after using it for like a week, I can't bring myself to use it again. That's why I'm naming it as a "don't like."

Off to go read more Goblet of Fire!

No comments: