Monday, July 23, 2007

Pouring Rain

It is pouring outside.
 
As I walked to work, the rain just got harder and harder each block.  It splashed off of every surface, caused huge puddles and floods at every corner and drain and came from every direction, making my last minute decision to not wear my raincoat seem awfully stupid.
 
I was at the door and decided that I probably didn't need the raincoat.  After all, it was just going to make me really hot on my walk and it wasn't raining that hard...
 
Well, during the time between my leaving the apartment and my stepping outside, it had picked up significantly.  Sigh.
 
I learned a couple of lessons though:
 
1.  Leave earlier.  I was awake earlier but I was reading Harry Potter (I'm not done yet, please no spoilers or I will have to have someone hex you...) because the book is seriously magnetic, but I really should have left when it was not raining as hard.
 
2.  Look around before you shake out your umbrella.  This is just common sense and I always try to follow it, but some other people just shake their umbrellas out onto other parts of the sidewalk without paying attention (one person in particular was still in his own iPod world) and people (me..) get splashed.
 
3.  Wear a raincoat even if you think you'll be too hot.  At least your skirt will be dry and you won't have looked like you just got out of the shower.
 
4.  Don't congregate on narrow sidewalks if the space between you and the next congregation is less than an umbrella width.  Again, common sense, but it seems a bit difficult sometimes...
 
5.  Carry a bigger umbrella.  I'm in the market for a larger sturdy umbrella with a push-button open and close.  Anyone have any suggestions?
 
I wish it would get brighter outside.  This is just so... gloomy.

No comments: