Monday, November 05, 2007

Strike

On my lunch break today, I went over to Rockefeller Center because I heard that was where the writers' picket line was scheduled to be.  I was curious to see what was going on.  After all, this had been talked about for weeks and it's the first time it's happened in years, so it's kind of a big thing (for a TV fan).
 
On the way there, I saw the gridlock on 6th Avenue and thought maybe the strike was interfering with the traffic.  (It's not moving at all).  But once I got there, I realized it wasn't.
 
I was expecting marching or something active, but everyone is kind of holding signs in this pen closed off by police barricades with cops standing around and watching.  I took a flyer from the people handing out flyers about the strike (even though I already knew everything written on it).  But otherwise, it was all kind of just people standing with signs.
 
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and the effect on the shows, especially the new ones.  Will they come back (and what about next season's Lost and 24)?  Will the networks finally have to see (in a year of smaller audiences generally) that if you are patient with a show, it can succeed and not everything is a first week hit?  Maybe some won't survive ( e.g. why aren't more people watching Journeyman?) but I think it's safe to say that shows like Journeyman, with the numbers it's pulling in right now, might not have even been around this long last year.  I was saying recently that it would be nice, if the strike were prolonged, if we could see all those shows that had been pulled off the air prematurely.  All the big suspense shows from last year, some of which were shipped off to the internet and some of which weren't.  I'd like to see the remaining episodes of Kidnapped, The Nine, Drive, Daybreak, etc.  Even better, replay the entire "series."  It'll be like a special miniseries!  Maybe we can even go back a litte bit and add in shows like Threshold (sigh).
 
Last night, I was thinking about writing a post about what I think about the new shows this season (finally).  Maybe later.
 
On a closing note, how about that donkey karma from last night's Amazing Race?  Those donkeys were so cute and so awesome!

1 comment:

Pushkaraj Shirke said...

cute donkeyss???

lol

thats kinda crazy cute! :)

nice blog tho--- alllll filled up! :)