Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Photo Walk

Since it's a gorgeous 70 degree day outside, I decided to go for a walk around Rockefeller Center.  A few comments:
 
1.  Apparently it is Fire Safety Awareness Day or Week or something.  There were a ton of fire trucks and American flags up, and one table was giving away red plastic fire hats so there were a bunch of people walking around the area with them.  I didn't take one.
 
2.  I treated my lunch break as a photo-walk.  I used to do that all the time in Chicago.  I forgot how good it feels to play "tourist" in my own town.
 
3.  The ice rink is up.  Zamboni going across the ice and everything.  But understandably, it was not very safe for skaters at 71 degrees.
 
4.  I went to go see Anish Kapoor's Sky Mirror.  Finally.  I have been meaning to go ever since they first announced it.  I was a frequent visitor of the Cloud Gate sculpture at Millennium Park in Chicago (aka the "Bean" or the "Jellybean"), so of course, I liked this one.  Unlike the Bean which mostly reflected buildings (and it was gorgeous, there are pictures on this blog somewhere), the Sky Mirror shows the entire street scene and it's pretty fun.
 
5.  I was taking pictures of flags and flag reflections since the entire plaza was covered in American flags.  One shot happened to be of a window with reflections.  I have no idea if it even came out how I envisioned it, but the only way to get better is to practice, right?  The only reason I mention this is because right after I took the shot, I heard one girl walking by say to her friend, in a very "whatever" tone, "What was she taking a picture of?"  Like, there couldn't possibly be anything there to take a picture of.  People create photographs that are art out of everything.  Would she have said the same about Andrae on Project Runway 2 taking a photo of the gutter water, which turned out beautifully and inspired a wonderful dress?  Seriously.  I don't care if you ask the question in your own mind, but to say it loud enough and within earshot of the person taking the picture, is a little rude.
 
On a topic unrelated from my walk, there are trailers from filming in front of both my apartment and the office today.  One is for Criminal Intent and the other is for some other production whose name I don't yet recognize but can alert you about if it comes up. :)
 
I suppose I should get back to work now.

No comments: