Saturday, July 24, 2004

Atlantis

After a 2+ hour debacle getting home in the rain today and feeling more than a little exhausted, I collapsed after a sushi dinner in the living room and proceeded to watch 3 hours of Stargate on the Sci-Fi Channel. It was excellent. Perfect for a Friday night when the rain won't stop and the week has been extremely draining and all you want to do is escape and sleep. (I still ache from bowling!)

People always seem a little amazed that I'm as into science fiction television and movies as I am. One of my favorite series was Star Trek: TNG, and for that reason (and MXC), I happen to watch some Spike TV. (Which is also why I object to it being "Television for Men," as I watch more Spike TV than I do Lifetime, "Television for Women." What's with the gender labeling?) I watched DS9 and Voyager over the years, and even gave Enterprise a shot, but it started conflicting with other shows and I couldn't suspend reality enough to believe that this ship could really be before Captain Kirk.

I remember watching the movie "Stargate" and liking it, and then we watched it in Spanish class (in Spanish) which was interesting. And then SG-1 came out, and now Atlantis. SG-1 reminds me a lot of TNG. Charismatic captain, fun missions... there's definitely differences between the shows but I find it has a similar energy. I haven't seen both episodes of Atlantis yet (missed half of the first). I do like it, but I think, as of right now, I prefer SG-1. Atlantis reminds me a lot of DS9 in the sense that they have a "space station" feel. There's a lot of room for family stories (not a bad thing if done right) and different stories, so that they (Atlantis and SG-1) don't feel like clones. But anyway, both were good tonight, so that made me happy.

One of the more amusing commercial segments tonight: an advertisement for something (I think Goodyear tires) with Patrick Stewart as the voice-over followed by a trailer for "Thunderbirds" directed by Jonathan Frakes. Nice. :)

No comments: