Sunday, July 25, 2004

Pesky (and Dangerous) Creatures

The last day I wrote, I was all set to write a post about mosquitoes. I read some other blogs and was quite amused that the most recent posts for at least two other people were about mosquitoes.  But when I got to the Blogger page, I completely forgot what I was going to write about. Poor mosquitoes. No. Not really.

I went to a BBQ/clambake at a partner's house on Thursday, and got devoured by mosquitoes. Yes, it was partially my fault for forgetting bug repellent. But I wasn't the only non-DEET wearer! Yet I was the one being bitten alive. I don't know what they could have liked about me... I'm not that attractive. My mom sent me an article today about how mosquitoes will fly up to 40 miles for "a meal." Gross. I am not "a meal." Eww.

I have a huge swollen mosquito bite on my left arm, and five smaller bites on my right upper arm and shoulder. (In fact, four of the five are on my shoulder. Either the mosquitoes hit all at once and had a feast, or the same mosquito went crazy.) The day of the BBQ my ankles and calves wouldn't stop itching. Talking to me at the BBQ after a few hours was an exercise in trying not to laugh. My arms were flailing, my fingers were scratching, and my body looked like it was having a seizure. It was ridiculous. Yet somehow, according to one of my classmates, the mosquitoes were "swarming" around me. Gross. I think they could sense that I'm afraid of insects! I'm going to be marked with red bumps for days longer.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like going outdoors at night in the woods with exposed skin. Now I've paid my dues - I've got the war wounds to prove it. Just have to be on the lookout to make sure I don't get West Nile...

No comments: