Thursday, November 24, 2005

Frustrating News

So the rumors are flying, after last night's time-slot switch and bad viewer numbers, that Threshold has been cancelled.

This makes me very annoyed.

The critics like it. Many think it's the best of the new sci-fi shows this season. The people who like it are loyal. But clearly, we're not important enough, and stuck on a stupid network that has enough shows doing well that they're not willing to take a chance on a good one that happens to just not be reaching high enough levels for them. If Threshold were on NBC, it probably would have been given a full season order already. Dammit CBS!

Sigh.

I wish I could boycott CBS for killing my favorite new show of the season but I can't. I like Without a Trace. And Survivor. And I couldn't go without Amazing Race. And Numb3rs is fun. I can't give those up out of spite. It wouldn't hurt CBS. It would hurt me.

Stupid ratings system.

All I can say is that I'll be cautious the next time I get really into a show on CBS if it isn't an instant CSI-type numbers blockbuster. Why get my hopes up if it's not going to be good enough for them? Stupid CBS. Wealth of procedural riches and no diversity. Even Law & Order hit its saturation point (see: Trial by Jury). You just wait until all this CSI crap comes back to haunt you. (For the record, I don't watch CSI. It bores me.)

Yes, I'm feeling bitter.

I've had shows that I liked fall apart in the past and get cancelled early. (It was usually Fox, and they're doing it again with Kitchen Confidential.) But, although they were shows I liked and felt weren't given a chance, they weren't shows that I was immensely attached to, like Threshold. Now I really know how all those Firefly fans felt. Friday time slot of death, eh? I guess the curse has moved from Fox to CBS. Sad.

Fine, CBS. Make me upset on Thanksgiving. You're evil. And Survivor and Without a Trace are still on tonight, and I'm going to have to suffer through staring at your stupid eye logo everywhere. And yes, I use the word stupid a lot when I'm frustrated and there's nothing I can do.

This was one of the best ensemble casts for new shows on TV this season. And the characters were written to be smart. Arrrrrrrrrrgh.

1 comment:

Law Fairy said...

Fox is also about to drop the ax on Arrested Development, one of the best tv shows EVER! Damn the Nielsens!