Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Post-Halloween Candy Fest

I look forward to the day after Halloween. The same way I look forward to the day after Christmas and Easter. All the holiday themed candy goes 50% off and I can stock up on all the individually sized candy bags so that I can put my sugar addiction under portion control. (In the interests of full disclosure, the post-Easter candy sale is myfavorite of the 3.)

On my lunch break, after being thwarted by a 20 person teller line at the bank, I went to the Duane Reade near the office, and started picking up large bags of candy. Crunch bars, Pumpkin Patch M&Ms, Skittles, put back the Crunch and picked up the Kit Kat, and then a last minute impulse buy of Twix. I noticed that the 50% off Halloween candy signs hadn't extended all the way down the aisle, but since all the candy was stored in large cardboard Halloween designed boxes, I figured they just ran out of tags. After all, they had used so many inthe first half of the aisle.

I was wrong. The candy was not 50% where the signs were missing. But why?! The candy was clearly shipped to the store for Halloween. Granted, there were not huge Halloween designs on them, but there weren't on the Skittles either and those were 50%. Needless to say, I ended up not getting the Kit Kat or Twix because I wouldn't pay full price (yes, it's the day after Halloween and I feel entitled to a discount!), but I picked up the M&Ms and Skittles. Maybe I'll try another Duane Reade to get some bargain chocolate. I was so lookingforward to an afternoon pick-me-up of a Twix bar.

But all the disappointment of not buying chocolate went away when I got my lunch. I've been intending to go to one of the street food vendors right by the office ever since I started (actually, I've been intending to try a few of them, but this one I pass on the way to work all the time). But between interview lunches and either busy times or bad weather sending me to the easy and lazy choice of Europa, I hadn'tgone yet.

The cart I went to today has newspaper clippings up of all the times the cart was featured in the news as one of the best street food carts in NYC. And it's really good. I used to go to the street food carts downtown all the time during my 1L summer. I had a $5 lunch budget and the carts made it really easy. (It was 2 years ago, but they're also a little cheaper downtown I think.) So, I'm a pretty good evaluator of chicken pita sandwiches. This one was definitely good. Made all the pain of no-Twix go away really quickly. In fact, I didn't even thinkof it until I started this entry. I was filled with chicken pita love.

Back to work I go. I'm so glad that cart is just across the street. It's really no wonder that there's always a really long line.Definitely worth the (short) wait.

No comments: