Saturday, April 01, 2006

Tally

I was submitting a sweepstakes entry this week for TV on DVD sets, and they asked what show you would like to see on DVD.

Of course, the shows I want to see on DVD are either the ones I love (which are mostly already on DVD) and the shows that have been cancelled.

Which made me wonder... what shows am I mad about this year? Which networks am I holding a "grudge" against for their bad decisions? ("Grudge" only in an "I remember how you cancelled a good show" sense, not any grudge with consequences, because I can't really stay away from the networks.)

Let's start with CBS. That one's easy: Threshold! I'm still upset, because they pushed it all over the schedule and barely gave it a shot when it wasn't doing that badly. It was on Friday night! What do you expect, blockbuster ratings? And then when you move the show and half the people don't know what's going on, you think they're going to tune in? Doubtful. And the last episode that was going to air looked really good. I'm a little annoyed with the time change for The Amazing Race, because I actually liked it at 10, but I can imagine why most people didn't. But it made it easier for me because: (a) I was usually home when it was on and (b) I already have 2 things on the DVR on Wed @ 8: Bones and Top Model! I guess I'll have to watch Top Model on the Tuesday reairing....

So I think the only thing I am mad at CBS about is Threshold, but it's a big one for me this season.

NBC. Book of Daniel. Simple one to pick out, because it was genuinely funny. But I often forget to name this one on a list, because it was barely even on TV before it got yanked. Granted, the advertisers were pulling out left and right because it was "controversial," but please. It was such a good show. I miss it. Can't think of anything else on NBC. Except that they're trying to kill Heist by putting it in the Wed @ 9 killer spot.

ABC. I'm worried that they're going to prematurely kill In Justice and Sons and Daughters. They got rid of Crumbs even though it was funny and doing well. They're treating the exit of Alias like crap when it was the only good thing on the network for years. And I thought What About Brian was never going to end up making it to air!

And now for the network that's usually the show-killer... Fox. Kitchen Confidential, Reunion. Two shows I liked, but mostly I'm upset that the former never really had a chance and the latter doesn't get to solve its mysteries. I'm not really going to touch on the whole Arrested Development thing, because even though I have it on DVD, I didn't usually watch it live.

Hmm. Just read on futoncritic that In Justice already finished its 13 episode season. So I guess now, it's wait until there's news or the upfronts to find out if it gets to come back. C'mon, ABC, something has to balance out the Dick Wolf empire! And show that not everyone is guilty!

But those are the shows that I'm upset got cancelled or pulled from the schedule this season. What about you?

(For the record, on the sweepstakes entry, I think I put Threshold, Jack and Bobby and Bones, since there's been no DVD announcement on that one yet.)