Saturday, June 24, 2006

Filled Up

I have eaten a lot of good food this week.

On Monday, we had the firm outing at a country club up in White Plains. It was a lot of fun, especially the manicure and massage. The masseuse gave a deep tissue massage, which I'm not really used to and kind of hurt in parts, but it definitely felt good afterwards. As for the food, it was fine, but pretty much your usual BBQ or buffet fare. It was a nice way to ease back into the work week after coming back from Chicago.

Tuesday it was back to work. And to a fabulous lunch with my summer associate buddy at Milos. I went for the prix fixe "business lunch" menu and the food was wonderful. Very fresh, the flavors were just right and not overpowering, the portion sizes were good. Overall, I was very pleased and it lived up to everyone's recommendations and praise. I would definitely go back there. (I say that about so many places, but it's true!) Good company and good food.

As for what I actually ate, I started with the stuffed calamari, which was stuffed with 3 types of Greek cheeses. (According to the website, it's feta, kefalograviera and myzithra). It came with some mixed greens on the side. For my entree, I got the whole fish of the day, which was sea bass grilled in olive oil. It was so simple, but so good. Everything was so tender and the perfect texture. I loved it. And the strawberry sorbet that I had for dessert had such a strong strawberry flavor that even though I was full, I could have had 3 bowls more!

I really need to figure out how to exercise more self-control, but I think that is a topic for an entry not devoted to how good food is. And as a side note, the putrid smell of a neighbor's cigarette drifting in through the bathroom vent is ruining my wonderful memory of all the good food I have had this week!

Ahead to Wednesday, which was sort of an impromptu lunch with my summer officemate. We went down the block to the Kati Roll Company, which I had passed many times but had never gone in. It had always been crowded, and now, having gone in, I can see exactly why. It's inexpensive for lunch, and it's really good! We split 3 different rolls - the aloo masala (potato), achari paneer (cottage cheese and pickle) and chicken tikka. I liked the aloo masala and chicken tikka a lot. With drinks, this was probably the cheapest per person summer lunch I've ever gone on. Which is good! More money for charity!

Thursday brought another buddy lunch, this time at Del Frisco's. A yummy salad and a perfectly seared tuna had me thinking that it might be a healthy lunch (since, after all, I didn't go for the bacon in the salad). But then I had some strawberry cheesecake, which I liked, even though I am not a very big cheesecake eater. Pretty much just this and the Heath bar cheesecake lollipop at david burke & donatella.

Today, I went to lunch with a bunch of junior associates and summers at the Indian buffet across the street, Utsav. There was so much good food there, and I thought the entrees had ended at some point in the line so I had a full plate, but they kept going! My favorites were the chicken, fish and eggplant. Granted, that's not very helpful since it's so general, but I don't remember the names of the dishes offhand and they had paragraph long descriptions. But I would definitely recommend the buffet. Yum! I'll look through the online menu and see if I can remember any of the dishes. *reading* I can't remember... there is a chicken one with fenugreek, but I thought that was the fish. *shrug* It was good. That's all I remember.

For dinner, Alvin and I went out to Caribbean Spice, a cute little place about a block from the apartment. To sum up, it was excellent service and such good food. I'm still stuffed. At one point, the chef came out and was just talking with all the patrons. A very nice, relaxed atmosphere and really good food. And so close!

It started off with plaintain chips that they brought over, and then a delicate soup that tasted like a combination of chicken broth, coconut milk and buttery vegetables. Mmm. We ordered an appetizer of saltfish fritters, which were yummy and reminded us of conch fritters from the Bahamas, and came with avocado salsa. For entrees, Alvin got jerk chicken with herb roasted potatoes, and I got pineapple coconut chicken with pumpkin rice. They both came with veggies and plaintains. (So much food!) Can I tell you just how much I am in love with pumpkin rice? So good.

And it's taken me about an hour off and on to write this post and I am still so stuffed. So much good food. I think I need to work out this weekend... But I can't complain. Excellent company and excellent food make me happy. :)

No comments: