Thursday, June 15, 2006

Shock

Yesterday morning I woke up to a little bit of an alarming news story. I had heard about a stabbing on the train the day before, but had thought it was an isolated incident and a troubled person. I was glad to hear that the victim was, so far, okay.

I wake up to the TV as one of my alarms. I caught snippets of the story in my half-asleep daze, and heard something about a guy getting stabbed at the Rockefeller Center train station and then 2 other women getting stabbed near the W Hotel in Midtown.

First, I thought it was a bad dream. I mean, it sounded so implausible that there could be so many stabbings in such a short period of time. Second, it dawned on me that that's the train station that's the closest to work. There could be a troubled guy running around with a knife near the office! Third, I thought, maybe it's not near the office. After all, there are a lot of W Hotels in Midtown.

But then they said he was caught at the McDonalds in Times Square. And that's down the block from work.

Hmm.

It was a bit shocking and unsettling. 2 locations pretty close to where I walk every day, and there's some random guy walking around stabbing people?

Three stabbing incidents. Three other accidents where young people got killed recently. It's a little scary.

Luckily they had already caught the guy, so I was a little less anxious about it. Not like when that guy shot a judge and I was scheduled to fly to Florida, and was worried that he was still going to be running around shooting people.

Then, I put it out of my mind on my walk to work and took care of a lot of little things since I have today and tomorrow off. A little hectic tying up loose ends, but it's got to be done sometime, right? Like re-organizing and cleaning my office....

No comments: