Thursday, December 15, 2005

Haribo-Induced Irritation

I went to my second Duane Reade in 2 days looking for a little Haribo gummy bear fix, and was thwarted for the second time.  Last time, I settled for Sour Patch Kids and had a huge sugar crash at work. This time, I settled for Swedish fish "aqua life." 

But after not finding Haribo gummy bears, it seems like one thing after another was irritating.

First, I was on line to check out and was standing behind this guy as he finished paying and turned to leave. The exact way in which he turned was where I was, so I nicely got out of his way and said sorry. But I didn't expect such an attitude from him! He was like, "You need to look around. You're in the city now." (Or "you're in the city, you know" or something like that.) It wasn't very loud, it was sort of half under his breath, but it was in a very patronizing tone as if he were talking to some little girl who was gazing around at the sights and walking into people because she didn't know what she was doing.

All it got from me was an eyeroll, because I was tired and just wanted to get my second-tier candy and go home.  But what was playing in my head? "Yeah, I know I'm in the city. I live around the corner from this store. Maybe your little know-it-all self should have realized that I was getting out of your way because you turned and were going to walk directly into me."  Whatever.

Second, I get the mail and inside is an envelope from the law school, saying "Welcome to ____ Law School" on the envelope. My thought? What the heck! I just LEFT the law school, why are you welcoming me TO the law school?!  (Yes, I knew it was probably an alumni thing, but why welcome alumni to the law school itself when they just extricated themselves from it?)

Third, I found myself confused and starting to think about Supernatural and ghosts when I saw a very large lipstick print on the mirrored wall of the elevator.  Entirely covered in lipstick, very full lips, etc.  Who was kissing the mirror?!

Now, to watch Apprentice and do work. Lalala.

No comments: