Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Renovations


I'm trying out a new blog feature with the new year, and figure I might as well start it early so I can get in the habit of doing it, and maybe keep a new year's resolution. Any day that I log onto my computer at home (and it's not every day, since I'm on the computer all day at work) and have a free minute to do so, I will post up a random photograph and then force myself to talk about it. Sort of my pseudo-Daily Themes project for myself (see the Accountability link in the sidebar, I'm too lazy to link to the post).

This photograph is from one of the classrooms at my old law school from June 2005. My parents had come in for graduation and we strolled around the school so I could show them what it looked like. I don't remember if they had ever actually seen more than just the outside, but they certainly hadn't seen it after renovations. We ended up running into the very nice person at the law school who is in charge of facilities and he took us on a little tour and we got to go into the courtroom and everything. It was a nice touch and my parents definitely enjoyed it.

If any of you were reading this back in early June 2005, there was still a lot of "am I going to graduate?" drama going on. It was on this day, I believe, that during our stroll of the building, the registrar's office dropped off the final transcripts. Producing relief and glee at knowing that I really was going to graduate and that I wasn't stuck in school for another quarter!

Graduation feels like a really long time ago. It was, of course, but it feels like it's really far in the past, unlike when I started work, which feels like a combination of just yesterday and ages ago. (Do you know what type of feeling I mean? Feels like I've been there for awhile and am getting comfortable, but the time has also flown by.) I don't really miss school, but I do kind of miss the long Christmas break. This is the first Christmas break when I haven't had like a week off to do absolutely nothing. It just feels odd.

The law school definitely looked better after renovations. But now, with my nice big desk at work, this picture reminds me even more of how hard it was to fit everything on the new tables. When the room was full, it was difficult to fit the laptop, the big casebooks and everything else on the tables. But it sure beats the old way of crawling all over the floor trying to stick plugs into outlets. Once the current class is gone, no one's going to remember what it was like. No wireless or IM during class (at least, nothing reliable)... crawling on the floor trying to find an outlet... wooden chairs instead of comfortable swivel chairs.... this is making me feel old. :)

And that's all I have to say about that. I wasn't really telling a story, so I have no way to end it. It's just all rambling. Lots and lots of rambling. (Hmm... I should think about that and this theme and how that's going to work...) And in that picture, it's my dad saying hi. :)

1 comment:

Law Fairy said...

I miss Christmas break and comfy swivel chairs :(

But I *don't* miss snarky birth-order comments :)