Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tech Support

I saw the funniest thing on QVC tonight.

I came home to do work from home and put on QVC. I went through a phase when I watched QVC a lot during law school, mainly because it was good background noise and also because it was so amusing sometimes! Anyway, today they were showing the Dell Computer Workshop for an hour. I had been thinking of how awesome it would be if someone called in to ask about the exploding batteries, but figured they would never let someone on the air who said that.

Then this woman named Fran from Georgia calls in, and it was really awesome and I could not stop laughing. Here's the general gist of what happened on the call.

They exchange greetings and Fran mentions that she has had a Dell computer for a couple of years and it's been great. Throughout the entire next section of the call, the host is doing that "uh-huh" thing, except it noticeably changes in tone. I'm sure you can guess where.

"I just wanted to make a comment about the technical support, which is pretty much nonexistent, so I'm in the middle of a real problem with them right now, so I recommend that no one buy a Dell."

It's at this point that I pause the TV because I have to stop doing work because I can't stop laughing. And the host's fake smile at the time is hilarious because you can tell that she really doesn't want to be smiling and just wants this woman off the air.

The host and the Dell guy then go back and forth about how shocked they are that someone could possibly have a problem with the Dell tech support. Honestly, I never did, but I also know why I never did - I ordered from small business and their tech support wasn't outsourced. Every time I called up, if I didn't call small business directly, it would take at least 20 minutes to answer a simple question. I can imagine the woman is frustrated!

The Dell guy then tells Fran that he would love to talk to her more about her problems with the tech support (they really want her off the air!) and she's like, "Oh, I'd love to talk to you about that too because I've been talking to them for days trying to get mine fixed!"

So awesome.

I never thought they would have a comment like that on the air. Fantastic.

No comments: