Sunday, February 04, 2007

Confetti

I am cleaning up the coffee table while watching the Superbowl and came across a note I left for myself awhile ago for a blog entry. Since I have yet to write said entry, I figure I will write it now. Or at least tell you what it was about.

It was back at the end of last year when our smoking neighbor was like a billowing smokestack night after night. The bathroom would get so bad that you couldn't walk in there without having to hold your breath. There's no window or vent in the bathroom, so it was like walking into a smoking cave. For non-smokers and/or asthmatics, it was not a pleasant situation. I almost couldn't bear to walk into or past the bathroom and would do everything I could to avoid it.

One night, it was so horrible that I went and looked for all of our rental documents to see if there was anything in there about smoking. Of course, there wasn't (I had read some stuff online about how some developments had provisions for smoking so I wanted to check). There were prohibitions about dogs, when you could practice music, but nothing about smoking that drifts into neighbor's apartments. It made me wonder why rental buildings would prohibit things that may interfere with your enjoyment of your apartment but were not health hazards (e.g. practicing music at certain times) but not things that both interfered with your apartment and were health hazards (e.g. smoking if it's in your neighbor's apartment). It was just frustrating to me because there was nothing I could do. The person who was smoking had the ability to go elsewhere, but I couldn't. I couldn't go elsewhere to sleep because the air being pumped out of our bathroom was a thick cloud of smoke.

Anyway, that was what I had written about. I also had a note on the same page inbetween the smoking notes that said "confetti" but I have zero clue what that was about.

No comments: