Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lake Effect


It was a really mild day in October last year.

I went to Rockefeller Center on my lunch break. The Fire Department was having some special event, teaching people about fire safety and giving out red plastic hats. People flocked to Rockefeller Center, and anywhere outdoors, to enjoy the pleasant sunny weather.

I miss being able to leave the office during lunch to take strolls around the city. Of course, I could still do it, but I would have to bundle up and put on my hat and scarf and mittens, and brave the bitter wind. I would probably be frozen in a couple of blocks. I've survived worse winters (3 years in Chicago!) but somehow wearing work clothes just makes the winter feel a little bit colder (if that makes any sense). So the past 2 days I have gotten soup from the cafe in our building. Business at lunch up there seems to be pretty busy, so I wonder if everyone else is doing the same.

The lake effect snow that they are showing on the Weather Channel seems brutal. So much snow, so much wind, and neverending. They have a table with the measurements of the "NY Lake Ontario Snow." The first thing I noticed: there's a Mexico, NY? I just googled it and the little map that showed up showed that it's near... New Haven, NY. I thought when I enlarged it, it was going to show Chicago, NY as the other city nearby. But Google doesn't seem to be able to pull up a "Chicago, NY" so maybe one doesn't exist.

I have been slowly reading my SDZ Zoonooz newsletter and it makes me miss San Diego. It was so nice to just wake up, not have anything to do and to spend hours at the zoo or the Wild Animal Park. Probably the most relaxing trip since the cruise we took over 3L spring break (over a year and a half earlier). A big plus that it was warm. Warm trips are good. Unless it's like a ski trip or something, I think I am inclined to make my winter vacations warm ones.

Sleep soon since I have to be at work early (for me) tomorrow. Good night!

[Note: I vaguely remembered blogging about this trip to Rockefeller Center before: here's the entry. Turns out I also posted pictures. The same picture. Now, that, I did not remember. Oh well. Cannot dictate what the RCSP chooses.]

No comments: