Sunday, April 24, 2005

A Stephen Chow Night

Last night, we made it a Stephen Chow night. And oh, what fun it was!

After a quick dinner at Burrito Beach, Alvin and I headed to the (non-stadium seating... *sniff*) theater to catch Kung Fu Hustle. The movie opened about 2 weeks ago in NY and LA, but didn't open in Chicago until this weekend. I'd been looking forward to seeing it for a long time.

And it didn't disappoint. I won't write a "review" or anything here, because I don't want to spoil it. The only thing I knew going into the theater was what I saw in the trailer... which, honestly, doesn't give away all that much, or as much as you might think it would. But read any review and you might find out more details than you want to know. (That's why I read most reviews after I get home from the movie. I read the Metacritic blurbs because they don't give away the plot, and then I read the reviews afterwards.) It's nice being surprised!

The movie was great. It was so much fun. Lots of laugh out loud moments. Lots of references to other pop culture movies. Lots of great action sequences. I was positively giddy when I left the theater, because the movie was just that much fun. It's how you want to feel when you leave the theater - like you've just been on a fantastic ride. It was well worth the $9.50. :) I love comedies that really make you feel happy.

I was on such a high leaving the theater that my immediate thought was, "I kind of want to go watch Shaolin Soccer now."

And so we did. Came home, put in the DVD and watched a movie I've seen at least 3 or 4 times by now. But it's still as funny as the first time. I think I was already in a pretty giggly mood by the time we got home from Kung Fu Hustle, so I might have even laughed more with Shaolin Soccer than the last time I watched it. Lots of fun.

To close, I highly recommend Kung Fu Hustle. It's no wonder it won Best Picture at the 2005 Hong Kong Film Awards. It's fantastic. :)

No comments: