Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Life Without Blackberry

The past couple of days, I have been experiencing life without a Blackberry.  It is very strange.
 
I was never one of the people who thought of a blackberry as a leash or something that would keep me working all hours of the night.  Instead, I saw it as a way to get peace of mind - to confirm that people aren't looking for you, to know that there isn't something urgent to do, to feel like you have some idea of what is going on without needing to be in the office.  In a sense, it gave me more free time.
 
But I haven't gotten an email since Friday morning on my blackberry - and I have definitely gotten email since then.  We found out that there was a Cingular outage so messages were "delayed."
 
Since it wasn't working (except for PIN), I didn't bother carrying it with me to meetings.  It was kind of odd to travel without it.  I hadn't really known this weekend why it wasn't working, because I didn't remember about the outage.  I just kept resetting it over and over.  But since it was the weekend, I wasn't that concerned.  After all, it was my alarm clock and back-up phone.
 
But now service is supposed to be restored.  Only I'm still not getting messages; they're not delayed - they're just not there.  So tech has it now, so I am really blackberry-less.  Definitely an odd feeling.
 
Health fair time.

No comments: