Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Wash and Dry

I don't get it.

How does a mattress pad come out of the washing machine (twice!) more dirty than it went in?

When I put it into the machine, it was fairly clean, just pretty dusty from the move and our old apartment. (It was from the futon, so it was underneath another cover, but it was exposed during the move in the truck.) When I took it out, there were black marks all over it! I'm hoping it's just lint because after the second wash, we tossed it into the dryer, but it was ugly!

Since it was all part of one load and the other stuff in the washer hadn't been much, we just let the stuff sit in the dryer while washing the mattress pad a second time. I figured, who's going to take our pillowcases that won't match anything of their own or my old underwear or our dish towels? Well, I guess I underestimated people. Someone stole our dryer sheet. I know I brought one down the first time, and I know I put it in the dryer. Yet, when we went down for the second wash, it wasn't there. But no other dryers were on. So ... someone just stole the dryer sheet for the hell of it? I'm so confused. Person, it's just a dryer sheet. If you can afford to do $2 loads of laundry, you can afford a frickin' dryer sheet. I was just annoyed that I had to come back upstairs to get one after knowing I had one in there before. I'm so not used to laundry rooms anymore after having in-unit washers and dryers for 2 years. That's a part of the old apartment that I really do miss. (Unlike, say, the carpeting which trapped hair and wouldn't release it to the vacuum.)

On the plus side for laundry rooms, I love dryers with windows and I could spend the entire 48 minutes watching the clothes toss around in circles. I know, I'm strange.

More unpacking and cleaning up to be done. I just ordered the windowsill, separating mass mailings from real mail. Now to get rid of all the unnecessary boxes all over the floor by the door...

No comments: