Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Candy Limitation

We are now less than 2 months from the wedding, and I have a confession to make. (Considering I don't really talk about personal things on this blog, this is kind of big.) I hate how I look in pictures. I really do. I am not the least bit photogenic (unlike A, who I think looks great in pictures) and that must be why I'm always behind the camera instead (not that I'm good at that either).

I was thinking about that again this evening, and in an attempt to make our wedding pictures tolerable, I am going to attempt some self-discipline. Anyone who knows me will know that, since this involves candy, this is not an easy thing for me to do at all.

So here it is. If I'm going to attempt to make a significant change in less than 60 days (seriously, running out of time) while in a high-stress and busy period, I'm going to have to have some self-control.

No chewy fruit-flavored candy until after the wedding.

Sigh. That means no Skittles, no Starbursts, no Sour Patch Kids, no Haribo gummy bears, no Swedish Fish, no Jelly Belly sours... (gah, this reads like a list of "my favorite sweet foods").

Chocolate is OK, mostly because I can't eat that much at once (other than milk chocolate covered cranberries). Dried fruit is OK, and I think I'm going to need all those Costco sized boxes of Craisins that I have to get through this. Hard candy is OK, and I think that will be the other thing that gets me through this. Need to pick up some Jolly Ranchers.

If I slip once or twice, I will deal with it. There's no point in getting depressed over it; I will just have to penalize myself with an extra workout session or something. (And by extra, I guess I mean "a" workout session, considering I have a fitting tomorrow and haven't worked out in 2 weeks because I've been so busy and sleeping so little. Sleeping so little... and it's 4:30 am, so we know what I should be doing).

I had both Sour Patch Kids and Starbursts (the fave reds!) over the weekend (and when flying, I usually need it). I wish I knew at that time that I was going to impose this restriction, so I would have savored it more, instead of it just being a plane snack. But I'm not going to allow myself one more right now, just to have my "last one." I'm just going to have to deal.

I guess it's slightly easier since I eat gummy vitamins, and those are sweet and chewy like candy, but they're good for you vitamins and I can have 2 a day. So gummy vitamins + craisins + jolly ranchers and maybe this will work. After all, it's less than 60 days. (Then again, when I tried giving up Haribo gummy bears for 40 days, it was so miserable because I couldn't think of anything else...)

That's the first limitation, and probably the most important one, since it is my weakest spot. Since I have always believed in accountability through the blog (see: bar exam), I hope this will work (unlike my new years resolutions, which I continue to blog about here). Good luck to me.

No comments: