Monday, August 10, 2009

Chopped Salad

Tonight, in an attempt to be healthy, I ordered a chopped salad from one of those salad chains that does a make-your-own chopped salad (a chain which is not my lunchtime staple, Just Salad, since they don't come up on my Seamless Web - their salads are addictive).  (I have not named the chain here out of my practice of not naming things I am criticizing... maybe I should... I'll think about it.  If you say the subject line, you should figure it out.)
 
The salad itself, for the most part, is fine.  However, I'm not sure I'm going to order from them again soon for a few reasons:
 
1.  My estimated delivery time was 45-60 minutes.  After 70 minutes, I called the place.  She told me the person left a few minutes ago and should be there in a couple of minutes.  It took 82 minutes total.  To make a salad, fill up a bag with said salad + a tiny brownie + a bottle of water + a bag of chips, and go 6 blocks, took 82 minutes.  There is no cooking involved!  Apparently the 6 blocks of travel time took more than 12 minutes.  I think I could walk faster than that.  Even in this heat and humidity.
 
2.  In an attempt to eat healthier and lose weight, I intentionally did not order cheese.  A few bites in, and it appears that my salad has white cheddar mixed in.  Luckily, I can eat white cheddar without a problem, but what if I didn't - or couldn't - eat dairy?
 
3.  About two-thirds of the way through, I thought I ate something with the consistency of an almond.  Luckily, I am not allergic to nuts, but what if I were?  Someone who did not order nuts would not expect to scrutinize every chopped up little piece of salad to look for nuts!  I took quick glances to look for broccoli, but should I have looked more closely at every millimeter?
 
4.  By the time I got to the bottom, I realized I had balsamic vinaigrette soup waiting for me.  Excellent.
 
I wish I were able to get a salad from Just Salad instead.  And as a bonus, they even have that pizza bianca bread instead of this cold thin wheat pita.  Oh well.  Maybe lunch later this week... I know where I'm not going for lunch...
 
 

No comments: