Saturday, January 28, 2006

Inspiration

The only word to describe how I feel about today is "glorious."

Sure, I had to wake up at 6:45 (on a Saturday!), but being up and outside early in the morning reminded me of just how renewing it feels to be outside when the sun isn't fully up. Sure, I had an extra-long commute this morning where the PATH train just sat in the station with no explanation for why we weren't moving, but I still made it to class on time. Sure, I had another full day Saturday CLE, but I took 5 naps (honestly, it's not my fault that they keep the auditorium so absurdly cold, forcing me to take shelter under my coat, and of course, I fall asleep) and they ended over an hour early, because I don't think they wanted to be there either.

And, one of the best parts? It's almost 60 degrees outside! In January! And it's sunny! Unlike those other days when it was sort of warm, but kind of cloudy or rainy. It's sunny, and it's warm, and I actually have time when I can enjoy it!

So I took all the time when I would have been sitting in the classroom and I went on a picture walk.

I used to take a lot of picture walks when I was in Chicago. I'd just get in the mood to walk, and I would take a ton of pictures. One time I ended up walking around this park, and ended up taking over 100 pictures. That's not that many, when you consider that on my trip to Hong Kong, I occasionally took about 400 a day, but it still feels like a lot. :)

That hasn't happened as often here in NY. For one, I don't have as much free time as I did when I was a student. I don't really miss school, considering a) I don't miss homework and b) I unfortunately still have classes and homework. (I'm really looking forward to mid-February to get rid of homework!) But the free time was nice. I spend a lot of time at work, which I don't really mind, because I like what I do, except some of those hours are prime picture-taking hours. Also, when I do have free time on the weekends, it's so crowded near where I live that it's not the same as leisurely going on a picture walk with empty sidewalks. And also, I guess the inspiration just didn't hit as often. After all, I still haven't really unpacked, so that takes priority.

But today, it was different. It was a split-second decision to switch trains at Journal Square to take the train up to 33 St and then to walk home, instead of to WTC and then another train up here. (It also saved me $2 and gave me exercise, but the nice weather was a big factor.) But the entire time on the train, from Journal Square to 33 St, all I could think about was how I was going on a picture walk. It made me happy and I think a little bit giddy. :)

It also made me think about last Wednesday's episode of Project Runway.

The theme of the show was inspiration. The designers were given cameras and told to take pictures around the city (although, I think they gave them a really short amount of time, what if you wanted to go to Chinatown or something for your inspiration?). Then they would choose one picture as their inspiration and design from it. I thought it was a great concept.

It also reminded me of the new year's resolution project that I was trying to do on this blog. Randomly pick a picture and let it be my inspiration to write about something. I haven't been very faithful about it, mostly because I avoid logging on to my computer at home because I stare at a screen all day at work. But I really want to do it more. I should do it more.

And in my happy state, I'm going to go clean all the pictures off my memory card. (It's been so long, I've just been adding to my 512 card, and never taking the pics off, but now I have to.) And maybe dance around or something. It's a happy day. :)

No comments: