Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sandwiches

How is it that, without cheesy bread or spinach or cucumbers, my Blimpie turkey and provolone sandwiches always taste better than the ones I get from Subway?
 
Don't get me wrong, I still like the ones from Subway, but I don't know why the Blimpie ones taste better!
 
Is it the oil and vinegar?
 
Maybe the fact that the turkey isn't cut in a perfect circle?
 
I have no idea. But I'm glad I work near both of them. I can keep testing it out.
 
I used to get kids meals from the Blimpie in the mall all the time when I was younger. It would be a mini meal, I think they called it. A half a regular sized sandwich, chips, drink... and my favorite part, a Twix bar!  Unfortunately, that Blimpie later on got into a little trouble with a thing called the health code or something and got shut down for awhile. And in the meantime, some of the other stalls became Taco Bell and Wendy's, so I was okay with not having Blimpie.
 
Subway sandwiches got me through the bar exam.  Each morning, when I forced myself awake at 6:30 am, I took out from the fridge the Subway turkey and cheese sandwich I had purchased the night before. Breakfast! It was the only thing I could think of that would be filling enough so that I wasn't already hungry by the time I got to the ship terminal (where I took the bar) and that didn't need microwaving.  On the first day of the NY Bar, I also went to Subway for lunch, figuring the tuna would give me brain food. After the bar, I don't think I had a Subway sandwich for quite a bit of time.
 
Yesterday at lunch (don't know where the sandwiches were from, it was at a CLE in the firm), I had a pretty good turkey and American cheese sandwich. The meat was cut just right. And the sandwich was great once I took off all the mayo and added deli mustard.
 
Which brings me to a question: if you like turkey sandwiches, do you prefer them with mustard or mayo? From what I can tell, most people aren't either-or but have a pretty strong feeling about it one way or the other.  I'm curious. :)

No comments: