Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Dining Out

Tonight I went out with a few people for dinner at david burke & donatella. No, I don't normally go out for fancy dinners on Tuesday evenings. It was a summer candidate that we were taking out for a "second look" at the firm. It was lots of fun. I had been to db&d once last summer for lunch, and this was my first time back.

(Note: I don't have any pictures, unlike the last restaurant review, because that's not really a thing to do during interview season. Maybe next summer.)

The meal started with an amuse that was a small duck spring roll with a teriyaki-type dipping sauce. It was small, light, and good. The thing about db&d is the presentation. They're really big on making the presentation creative and different. This one showed up spiked on a small fork that was standing straight on a flat red plate.

For appetizer, I got the parfait of yellowfin tuna tartar and salmon tartar. It came topped with some sort of buttery type spread and came with a few pieces of bread. It also had 3 different sauces, but I don't remember what those were. The tartar was nice and light. Not sure where it falls on my tuna tartare scale from last summer though. I'll have to think about that.

My entree was mustard-crusted tuna teriyaki. It was slices of crusted seared tuna, and it came with seaweed salad and two little sushi roll type pieces that were stuffed with peanut sauce soaked soba noodles. (Or something like that.) I think the theme of the night for me was food that was "light." This definitely fit the bill. I wasn't crazy about the soba noodle sushi pieces, but the tuna and seaweed salad together were wonderful. I loved it.

Since most stuff I had was light, I wasn't really weighed down by the time dessert came around, so I figured I would try something. We didn't get cheesecake lollipops like last summer at lunch, but I got their version of a strawberry shortcake. It was a light white spongecake topped with lots of chopped strawberries, a strawberry consomme and lychee sorbet. Yummy, sweet and light.

Dinner was wonderful. Good food, good company, nice design. The only bad thing was that when I emerged from the restaurant, it was freezing, windy and starting to rain. It seems like we skipped straight from late summer to early winter. Where was fall?! No doubt lost in the endless days of rain last week. I have all these fall jackets that I never got to wear on walks in the park as a brisk cool breeze flowed through the trees... Nope. All there was was rain, rain, rain.

I just checked the Weather Channel. It's 40 degrees. No wonder it was so cold. I was only wearing my rain slicker. Ick. And I like autumn!

Time to watch baseball and relax before heading to sleep. Hope you're a little warmer!

No comments: