Saturday, March 26, 2005

Final Four

Wow, my pulse is racing.

In March Madness, I'm an Illini fan by default. Yale doesn't really have a basketball team (that counts for any sort of tournament purposes). My boyfriend went to Illinois. It's the closest big basketball team that counts. The only college basketball fans I really know here all went to Illinois. And the Illini are an exciting team that almost went undefeated and are a ton of fun to watch. No real choice here. The "being surrounded by Illinois alums" factor is probably the strongest one toward making my subconscious allegiance for the Illini.

As someone rooting for the Illini, watching tonight's game, especially the end, was so stressful. Down by 15 points with only minutes to go, managing to catch up and send the game to overtime and then pulling it out by one point... it was amazing.

I think basketball may be the most stress-inducing sport. Sure, hockey has the same quick transfers of possession, but there's a goalie. Baseball and football are different - it's either your turn to score or it's not (with the exception of interceptions and turnovers), and possession changes are usually much slower. That may be why basketball is so exciting... but it's also why it's so stressful. Ack!

I'm supposed to be reading/skimming/leisurely scanning, but I'm only on page 3. That's ok. Angel was worth it (and may watch more in an hour). Yay for Saturdays.

No comments: