Tuesday, March 08, 2005

One

The theme song from the Contender is stuck in my head. It's a great melody. It makes me think of ideas like "glory" and "triumph." Unfortunately, it also makes me want the song and I don't know how to get it, or even its name. I must have seen 30 promos using the song, and then I watched the last 2/3 of the show last night so I know the song relatively well. It's sort of like a patriotic movie anthem that you'd hear when our fighters go up for the last battle with the aliens. (Sorry, I love Independence Day.) You know, the type of theme that makes me cry? (See also: battle with the aliens on Independence Day.)

The Contender was actually pretty good. Much better than I thought it would be, and about 100 times better than Fox's rip-off, The Next Great Champ that came out in the fall. No wonder NBC was so pissed and wanted to distance this show from NGC (which didn't even get to finish its run on Fox). This show has a point, it has team rivalries, it makes the boxing interesting, it has good backstories, and it's got just the right amount of emotion. And I don't even like boxing!

The only thing that I think NBC is being dumb about is that I don't even know what the "regular" night of the Contender is. It aired last night (Monday), the second episode is Thursday after the Apprentice and then the third episode is Sunday night. What's the real night? I'm a TV addict and I should know these things, but I am clueless! I'm going to watch it, because luckily, they picked time slots where I can (I can forego Without a Trace and the Starlet, or tape them or something). But some scheduling regularity would go a long way. If the ratings weren't stellar for the opening, you might lose viewers along the way if they don't even know when the show is on.

Tonight will be great TV! Yes, I have an exam tomorrow, but do you really think that's going to stop me from watching TV? (Please, I only did that in college - tape a show while actually in the room because I was doing work. This is law school. I need my TV.) Tonight: American Idol girls semifinals (ugh, the guys are so much better), Amazing Race (WOOHOO!) and SVU with Martin Short guest starring. It's going to be fun. :)

No comments: