Monday, January 10, 2005

Divisional

Woohoo, wild card weekend over and onto the divisional playoffs!

Who am I rooting for?

NFC
Rams-Falcons? Eh, I guess the Falcons, because I can't stand the Rams.
Vikings-Eagles? Vikings, no contest.

AFC
Jets-Steelers? I guess the Steelers. I was pretty impressed with them this year, and I've never been a Jets fan.
Colts-Patriots? Wah! I like both of these teams and wish the AFC title game was between these two instead. Sigh. Not really sure who I'm rooting for here, but whichever team wins this one is most likely the one I'm rooting for to take the whole thing.

I know I'm "supposed to" root for the NFC in the end since I'm a Giants fan, but I can't do that without considering what teams are in it, according to my personal ranking. I haven't worked out the personal rankings in a while (since college, I guess) but here's a vague estimation of where the teams fall by tier.

Tier 1 is for the teams I like, Tier 2 is for the teams I sort of like, Tier 3 is neutral - I don't really care necessarily, Tier 4 I kind of don't like but don't really hate, and Tier 5 is reserved for teams I really just don't like.

So where do the teams fall?

Rams-Falcons? Rams are solidly Tier 5, Falcons are a high 4 (closer to 3 than 5). So it makes sense that I'm rooting for the Falcons.

Vikings-Eagles? Vikings are Tier 1, Eagles are (obviously) Tier 5. Easy easy.

Jets-Steelers? Jets are a low 4... they used to be solidly 5, but my hate has eased for no particular reason. Maybe being back on the East Coast would push them back into 5, but right now they're a low 4. Steelers are 3. So I guess I'm rooting for the Steelers here. They used to be in 4, but like I said, I've been pretty impressed by them this year, so my dislike has lessened significantly.

Colts-Patriots? Both Tier 1. :( What to do, what to do! Just hope for a good game, I guess... but I don't want them to be too tired for the next week. So I guess maybe I should hope that Jets-Steelers is an even harder-fought game. ;-)

Within Tier 1, I like the Colts and Patriots better than the Vikings, so that game will determine who I root for from here on. May the best team win (it all)!

No comments: