Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Screech Stop

Around noon, I had this strange intense desire to rip my ears off from my head.

The law school got these new comfortable swivel chairs as part of the renovations. They're black, they move, and they're made of some mesh or fabric so that your butt doesn't hurt as much as they did on the old hard wooden chairs. Since we've had them since the renovation, that means we've had them for about, say, 4.5 or 5.5 months.

And all of a sudden - they're squeaking.

Loud. Grating. Squeaking. Squealing. Like nails on a chalkboard. Shivers on my spine. Want to tear my ears off. Grinding. Screeching. Disrupting class and making everyone go insane.

All of a sudden!

How did this happen? Was it the snow last week? But how could that make all the chairs go crazy? What happened?

It was the worst when class was over and everyone moved in their chairs at once. Ick.

And now I wonder if I'm hearing things. I'm alone in a classroom. When I swivel in my chair, it does not make noise (thankfully). But I keep hearing the screeching sound. I don't know if it's coming through the walls from the neighboring classrooms or through the ceiling from the room above. All I know is that it's relatively loud and sounds like it's coming from right next to me. But it's not. I know it's not.

They need to make the chairs stop screeching or I'm really going to lose my mind!

Maybe the chairs are making the noises all by themselves. After all, air does move right? Maybe there's some sort of pressure on them and they're making noises. Or maybe they're alive. But really, I hear the noises in this classroom and I'm the only one here. It's creepy!

Please fix the chairs!! The cacophony is really disrupting everyone's learning experience!

No comments: