Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Snow Forecasts and Raisinets

When I woke up this morning, the DJ on the radio said that the forecast was for snow. Flurries in the morning, stopping during the work day, and then towards the end of the work day, heavy snow.

I was not happy with the forecast. I have class until 6, which means I'd be leaving right about the time that "heavy snow" is expected.

Well, forecast was wrong.

It's snowing pretty heavily right now. So heavily that between the time I went to my car to get lunch and the time I went back into the school building 40 minutes later, all the footsteps that were in the snow had been completely covered with snow. So heavily that all the cars that were parked in the lot for the 9:45 class period were thoroughly covered in snow by the time I pulled into the lot around 10:50. I'm dreading walking back out into the snow at 6. I'm sure it won't have stopped by then, but I just hope it hasn't gotten too much worse.

It hasn't stopped snowing since 9 or 10 last night! Winter storm for sure this is.

Just checked the Weather Channel. No longer under a heavy snow advisory, we are under a heavy snow warning until 6 am tomorrow. The heaviest snow is supposed to be from 6 until midnight, expected accumulation around 6-10 inches, and "snow should taper off to snow showers" early Thursday morning.

Umm... someone smart, please tell me the difference between snow and snow showers? Is it big flakes as opposed to the ones that land like rain? Help! I'm distracted from dealers and market makers because I'm pondering big questions of meteorology!

Back to reading and my Raisinets. I suppose there's no sense in dwelling on the weather since it's going to be "heavy snow" until sometime tomorrow. Heavy heavy heavy snow.

No comments: