Saturday, February 26, 2005

Goals

I am so out of shape.

I was supposed to be in swimsuit-appropriate shape by mid-March. But seeing as how it is the end of February and the weeks between now and vacation include the last week of class and a week of exams + studying, getting this body into shape seems an almost herculean task.

In early January, I thought about hanging a bikini on a hanger on the wall like the woman does in the Yoplait commercial. (Is it Yoplait or do I have mixed messages? "She wore an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini...") For the record, I don't own a yellow polka dot bikini. But I thought if it were on the wall, it would serve as a constant motivation to work out and not be my usual lazy self. Sort of like the philosophy that underlay my taping of my senior thesis outline to the wall above my desk in large print a few years ago.

It would help to have a swimsuit to hang up. I have some older ones but I want a black one. (If you're not going to be in peak form, might as well wear black.) I went shopping yesterday and was on a high after purchasing the cutest gray skirt, but I got so sad after swimsuit shopping. Not even entirely because of the out-of-shape thing. I was sad because I couldn't find a swimsuit I liked. There was one where the top was perfect but the bottom was horrendous. And one where the top wasn't so flattering but the bottom fit well. I put the two together and had a great match. But you can't mix and match items that come as a set. That's the other problem with bathing suit shopping at non-department or full price stores. There's also halves of outfits, but the store won't let you buy it without the match. But the match doesn't exist!

Part of me wants to go back to get the top. The price of the swimsuit is the less than the price of a bathing suit top at the Gap, and I have a black bottom to mix it with. I'd be happy. But I'd also feel wasteful by having a bathing suit bottom that I never intended to wear and that would just take up space.

I know that everyone reading this probably has zero interest in my swimsuit shopping adventure. But I just had to share. Now that I'm completely winded from doing 100 knees-up and 50 jumping jacks, I needed to tell the world that I am really really out of shape.

No comments: