Saturday, February 12, 2005

Overheard

I was sitting in the food court in one of the malls on Michigan Avenue, indulging in a snack from Taco Bell, when a pregnant woman with blond cropped hair walked by with a man wearing a charcoal gray shirt.

They passed right next to my table, engaged in conversation. I didn't hear any part of their conversation except when the man distinctly said:

"Do you think your husband is going to find out that it's not his baby?"

My eyes widened and I tried not to stare. Do people really have conversations like this while walking through open spaces in the mall? Do people actually ask straightforward questions like that in real life and not just on television?

And then, as I related the story to my mom on the phone because I was so flabbergasted, I just kept wondering what their family life must be like. A wife that is pregnant with a child from some other man. A husband who is probably anxiously looking forward to the birth of a baby that he doesn't know isn't his... Heartbreaking, really. But my guess is that it probably happens more often in this world than I care to imagine. The truth always comes out eventually... doesn't it?

No comments: