Saturday, February 05, 2005

Tediousness

I figured out the word I've been thinking of to describe the task at hand. It's not really so much boredom as it is tediousness. This is why I have no plans to be an academic. I can find a topic immensely interesting, but if I've gone through all of the stuff once and thought about it and written some stuff on paper, it's tedious to me to go back through the whole volume of work all over again to write it up. I think that's why I like outlines; they have all the same information and are quick and concise. You don't necessarily have to worry about crafting sentences the way you just need to worry about the flow of your thoughts. That's why this is tedious. I feel like I've done it once already and am just repeating myself.

That paragraph makes it sound like I'm all about the idea and not about the craft. Outside of academic writing (and maybe it's just outside of legal academic writing), that couldn't be farther from the truth. I love to write. I've long felt that it's something that's been missing between my college self and my post-college self, and something I've wanted to re-insert into my identity like a missing puzzle piece. But there's just something about legal academic writing that doesn't click with me.

I don't know what it is, and maybe it has something to do with burn-out, but I don't have time to think about the reason right now. I'm supposed to be asleep, but I'm making progress on my paper. Technically, I'm still in the same section as I was before and I said I would finish this section before I slept, but when I wrote that before, I really meant the mini-subsection that I was in. Oh well. I will sleep soon. But first, I'm going to exhaust my typing "frenzy" and exploit it for as many words as I can.

No comments: