Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Burberry Brit

My mom and I were leaving Bloomingdale's, and got stopped by a gaggle of women dressed in black equipped with Burberry Brit spray bottles and creams. I wanted no part of it, since I didn't know if I liked the scent and we were planning to go to Sephora later, so I wanted to save arm space. But somehow, my mom was stopped by one of the ladies, and the following ensued:

Bloomingdale's Lady ("BL"): Here, come try Burberry Brit.

(Mom walks over to BL, who grabs a bottle of cream and slathers it all over Mom's left hand. She then takes the spray perfume bottle, and a huge burst of fragrance hits Mom's hand, right on top of the cream.)

Me: (to Mom, kind of joking, seeing how much the lady sprayed on to her hand) I really hope you like that scent!

BL: (with snooty, semi-authoritative tone) Why wouldn't she like it? It's the best-selling Burberry fragrance globally, and everyone loves it.

Me: (what I said) Right. (what I should have said, dripping with sarcasm) Right... of course she would like it. Because if everyone else around the globe likes it, she has to like it. Why didn't I realize this earlier?

BL: This is also an excellent fragrance for men... (in my head: yadda yadda yadda)

Mom: (sniffing her hand) Is this a women's fragrance that you put on me?

BL: (kind of bitchy now) Well, yeah. What do you think? I'd spray a men's fragrance on you?? Anyway, come over here, we're giving this bag for free today, if you buy something... (more yadda yadda yadda, her voice just had that effect)

At this point, I pulled my mother away, because I did not want to hear any more bitchy remarks out of that woman. She was so snotty!! Her logic... I must like Burberry Brit because everyone else likes Burberry Brit. I smelled it on my mom's hand and I'm really glad I didn't put it on. I went to Sephora, and instead put on Ralph Cool. Much better (for my tastes).

And then tonight, at Carvel picking up ice cream sundaes, some girl (looked like early teens) came up to me with a half-eaten sundae and said slowly -

"I got this just for you." (long pause) "Not."

Then she ran out with her friends, laughing as if this were hilarious. I was speechless - not out of any sort of shock or horror - but because I was dumbfounded that someone would actually think it was funny. Because it was so stupid! And wasn't saying something followed by "Not" what people used to do a lot when people our age were in junior high school?? It can't possibly be back in again now. Ha. Stupid.

I can't believe I have to get up tomorrow at 6. That's like, earlier than I got up for work all summer after the first couple of weeks. And for the next two days, so that we can bring the cars in to Hyundai for check-ups. Wheeee. I guess I'll be napping through mid-morning sprawled out in front of The Price is Right. :)

No comments: