Sunday, August 01, 2004

Catching Up

I used to check out the Apple Trailers site on a regular basis during the school year, maybe even every week. But I've spent so little time on my home computer over the summer that I'm so behind! I was at the movies today and watching trailers, and with the exception of Sky Captain, I didn't have a clue what the trailers were when they first started out! (Compare that with when I went to see LOTR or Harry Potter, and was trying to name off the trailers within the first few seconds after the studio logos.) I used to be so up-to-date with the trailers. Now I'm catching up for lost time.

Here are my first impressions on some movies based on the trailers I saw today (I'm including the trailers I saw in the theater)... I've starred the ones I want to see (** for really want to see, * for would be interested in seeing - not sure if in theaters or on DVD) ... it seems like a shorter list than the "want to see" list I had before the spring and summer movie seasons:

  • * Team America: World Police: Comes out in October, from the South Park guys. It looks interesting.. I'd be curious to see later trailers of it before deciding whether I would pay to see this in the theaters. It looks different though which can be refreshing. And if it's from the South Park guys... maybe it'll be good. :)
  • Superbabies Baby Genuises 2: Was there a 1 of this movie? I don't remember it. Anyway, it looks like it would be really entertaining and fun, and I would enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'd pay to go see it. (Maybe rent it?)
  • Wicker Park: With Josh Hartnett, I think I'd be too scared to see this one.
  • ** First Daughter: Comes out in September, with Katie Holmes. SO CUTE. It looks like a chick flick, and I love Katie Holmes, and the movie looks so incredibly sweet.
  • Suspect Zero: Looks frighteningly suspenseful, not sure I would see it.
  • Paparazzi: Chilling in a different way, a little too Princess Diana-ish, and cuts a little too close to reality with the fact that the paparazzi really IS like that and it's scary.
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: Saw an earlier trailer for it, but I don't get it now. I thought it was going to be like Superman, but it doesn't look quite like that anymore.
  • * Collateral: I might be interested in seeing this one - even though it's suspenseful, it's a different kind of suspense than the other ones I'm too scared to see.
  • Kinsey: Want to see more trailers... looks interesting.
  • * Meet the Fockers: Watched the trailer for the title, realized it was a follow-up on Meet the Parents, it looks amusing.
  • A Dirty Shame: Looks interesting, still need to learn more about it to figure out whether I want to see this NC-17 (!) rated movie.
  • * Christmas with the Kranks: This looks really amusing, and I love Christmas-themed comedies for whatever reason. How many times have I seen Santa Clause?
  • ** Shark Tale: DreamWorks animated movie, there's been lots of trailers and publicity for it, definitely want to see this - Finding Nemo but not.
  • Little Black Book: I'm up for most romantic comedies. :)
  • * Friday Night Lights: Also a sucker for sports movies.
  • * Wimbledon: Could be cute. [Aside: how come half the time when I load a Quicktime movie, it never loads the whole thing?!]

No comments: