Tuesday, August 10, 2004

For Love or Money

Maybe this will be the end of For Love or Money. (Although I doubt it, considering NBC's track record with Average Joe 3: Adam Returns and the upcoming rumored Average Jane.) I was an avid watcher of the show last summer (I think I'll be writing a future post on trashy dating reality TV), but this summer, since I watched less TV, I didn't see much of the show (instead, I was watching Who Wants to Marry My Dad). Last night, I did see the end of the show, and can't say I was happy with the outcome.

I was rooting for the guy to take the money and run. I saw most of the first half of the summer's For Love or Money, back when Preston was choosing and Rachel was the most evil contestant. Then the producers brought her back to do the second half of the summer, and all I could think was that I wanted the guy who she picked to choose the money over her. The editing from the first half made it seem like all she cared about was the money, and if the guy picked her this time, she could get a million dollars... from what I saw of her in the first half, why would I want her to get that?

Sharp contrast from last year when I was rooting for Erin to take home the 2 million dollars. But I didn't ever hate Erin... and she was never portrayed as an evil money-hungry person. Granted, she chose the money over Rob, but who wouldn't? Okay, that sounded harsh. But I can understand that decision. And in the end, she walked away with 2 million dollars. (ETA: I know it was a different situation, since Erin didn't have to choose between the money and Chad, and we don't know what she would do there, but still.) And they are still together. Living together. And according to one magazine, rumored to get married sometime in the future. Which is nice. More than I can say for The Bachelor (not The Bachelorette).

It's totally against my nature to root for someone to pick money over love. In most circumstances. But this is television... edited television... with people who have known each other for about three weeks and started their entire "relationship" on a falsehood about money. Erin and Chad as the exception, it seems like no good can come of that. I know all the dating reality shows nowadays want to have lots of twists and turns, but maybe (hopefully?) this one has been played out for good.

No comments: