Monday, August 23, 2004

An Olympic Sunday

Watched more of the Olympics as I cleaned out boxes of markers and made a catalog of the DVDs we own. Some random thoughts on the Olympics tonight (and it's about time I included some pictures with my writing!):
  • I was so happy for Dimosthenis Tampakos. (Yes, I looked up the spelling.) I can only imagine how proud he must have been standing there with his gold medal, representing his home country, and having the crowd sing the national anthem with him. It made me feel really good, and it's not my country! :) It's not like it's a medal in front of the home country, where the home country wins a lot of medals (like the USA or Australia). Those are still special, but this was sort of... extra-special, I think.
  • Happy with the women's platform diving results. For whatever reason, I was rooting for Australia the whole time. ;-) Maybe it's because I think Loudy Tourky looks good. Haha.

  • It took Alvin a while (because there are like no pictures of her!), but he finally found a picture of who we think has to be the cutest athlete in the games - Li Ya. She looks like she's 6 when she's out there.


  • I can't stand Bob Costas's primetime closing monologues. Can we say melodrama?? His whole thing today on cheaters being a disgrace for all eternity was a little over the top. Sure, it's bad that it's defiling sacred space by having a winner who tested positive for steroids. But I don't need lectures on morality with my sports. Am I the only one who feels this way??

I'm sad that swimming's over. I think I like it much better than track. I realized yesterday that my favorite Summer Olympic sports (table tennis aside) all involve water or tumbling (or both!). I guess it's good that I didn't try out for the track team in high school, huh? ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's clearly a conspiracy.