Thursday, October 07, 2004

Ninth

Today is officially the ninth day of school for the year, and I am already burnt out. Now this is not a surprise, considering the massive amount of complaining that I did prior to the start of the year about wanting to stay at work and not return to school. It's been a long and hard week, and I am relieved that I have no classes Monday through Wednesday. It's going to be a much-welcomed break even if I plan to get work done during those days.

I think I would feel more settled and less uncomfortable if my apartment were not trying to compete for an award for being one of the hottest and most humid confined spaces in the city of Chicago. Considering my thoughts about classes and school, it disappoints me that I actually welcome going to school because their air conditioning still works. I understand that once the low temperature goes below a certain temperature, heat must be made available, but I think it's poor planning to do so at the exclusion of having cooler air available especially when the high temperatures are still hitting 70. 70 degrees under intense afternoon sun makes a room a lot hotter. Add a lack of ventilation to the heated air and you end up with a hot humid sauna. Except the saunas I've been to might actually be drier than this. I hate not having control over air flow. And I hate opening the windows because allergy season isn't over yet, and it's not a good idea. And I hate having to have both the door and the window open in order to get a remote breeze, even though it doesn't cool the apartment that much. What are people supposed to do who have bad allergies, are asthmatic, and can't get any cool air in their living space? Sounds to me like a health risk.

Rant over.

I got called on today in securities and it wasn't that bad. I have realized that I learn law the best when it's through hypotheticals. For that reason, I am glad that class is conducted through hypothetical problems. Yet it still feels a little disjointed, and I'm not sure if that's because I'm in the last row and can't hear everything being said. That might be the reason.

I didn't go to my 8:30 accounting class today, and instead am going to the one that starts in 26 minutes. [At least it did when I was writing this part.] I'm glad we have that option. I just couldn't do it today. Insomnia kept me from sleeping until 2 or 3, and lack of time to read for my other class meant it wasn't a good idea to go. I thought I might have a restful morning, but waking up dripping with sweat, taking a shower, and then immediately being covered with sweat again is the furthest from comfortable that I can imagine (right now). I really want to get a significant amount of work done on my paper early next week, and if this heat persists combined with the lack of air flow, I'm not sure I'll be able to make any progress. Stifling heat and humidity just isn't a work condition.

This wouldn't be so bad if I could sit in the hallway with my laptop to do outlines or to work. But I can't. For two reasons: the outline feature in Word stopped working (see previous post) and my laptop keyboard decides that it wants to burn my fingers once left on for a certain number of hours. What I don't understand is why it was burning hot in my apartment after being on for like an hour, but currently, having been on in class, and not having that air flow circulating tablet underneath it, it's quite cool. Oh wait, I get it, it's because it's actually cool and air is flowing in the Green Lounge! Air conditioning and air circulation, yes, novel concepts.

I think I must be in a complaining mood. Nothing else could account for all this negativity. But what's funny is that my negativity right now is directed at the fact that my living conditions are driving me up the wall and sapping my energy more than classes and school. Who would have thought?

Okay, I need to stop ranting and raving. Even though it's how I feel. I would rather the apartment be cold because I could put a blanket on, but I can't unheat myself if it's too hot. Oh wait, it wouldn't be too cold if there were still a/c available, because the sun keeps the building so damn hot!

At least I know that when I look for a new place to live, I'm going to look for someplace that can sustain a climate change without making me melt into a puddle.

Tonight's TV brings "Survivor: Vanuatu", "The Apprentice" and playoff baseball. "Survivor" really hasn't been as compelling as "All-Stars" was for me. I still love watching the challenges and might still tape some episodes, but it's just not doing it for me. I might tape tonight's though because the person spoiled as getting voted out of the tribe is someone I like. "The Apprentice" should be good, although I'm afraid Mosaic will lose, so I can't see the women tear each other apart again. (Darn.) Playoff baseball is always good.

Well, not always. Game One sucked, but last night's game was fantastic.

I think maybe I should have gone to my other class, and just used the excuse that I didn't read because I was sucked into the Yankees game. After all, I am from NY. But I think that reason would go over much better at, say, a NY law school. The Cubs exemption worked last year, but we unfortunately can't use it this year.

I'm rambling.

Anyway, I was so happy the Yankees won. They needed this. They could not go into Minnesota on the verge of elimination. Originally, when I still planned to go away for the weekend, I really wanted to get Twins tickets. Now I wish I had actually tried to follow through on that plan. Would have been awesome.

I'm looking forward to yoga tonight. I could use the cooling effect and the peacefulness it brings. It's really hard to meditate in a hot room. Wait!! I just figured it out. I can do Bikram yoga 24/7 in my apartment now, if I manage to clear floor space. You're supposed to do it in a stifling hot and humid room - now I have my answer for what to do with my life in this heat condition! Eureka! Bikram yoga!

Although I would suspect that when it's over, you're supposed to retire to someplace cooler. Maybe I'll fill the bathtub with cold water.

I need to head to accounting in about 5-10 minutes. One more visit to the Amazing Race pixel challenge (these people are amazingly creative; I can't compete) and check of my email, and I'll be on my way. I doubt anyone even read this far considering for how long I've rambled on, and that most of it is complaining. Oh well. Such is life.

Hope you're having a cooler Thursday!

No comments: