Friday, October 01, 2004

October Chill

It's starting to get a little chilly outside these days. It's brisk in the morning, warm in the afternoon and cold at night. The Weather Channel has been forecasting lows in the high 30s sometime in the next 10 days.

I can't say it's a surprise. After all, it is autumn. And the signs of the seasonal change are everywhere.


Promontory Point Park, Hyde Park (25 Sept)
We went to a BBQ for APALSA in the park on Saturday, and the wind was freezing cold. The trees are starting to show some color. Fall is in the air.


Fallen Leaves (25 Sept)
Walking through the grass and rustling through the fallen leaves... it's the sounds of fall.


Ogden Plaza, by the Sheraton Hotel in Streeterville (28 Sept)
The trees are dying. Soon their leaves will be gone, a sure sign that winter is rushing along on its way.

Brrr.

Who am I kidding? I love autumn. (I don't have a favorite season. I've tried to pick one, and then I always end up saying great things about the other seasons, and start reconsidering my choice. Always. Even when it's so cold outside that your breath freezes on the inside of your glasses, I respect winter.) I love the invigorating brisk breeze to start the day. I love leaving a warm building and having a blast of refreshing cooler air hit my face. I love seeing fall foliage, watching the leaves change color as if they're telling a story. And I've always loved how autumn has brought about new beginnings. It's like another new year every time a new school year starts.

I think this might be the first time in my life that I've dreaded the start of the school year so much. I used to love autumn! I used to love that feeling deep inside of a new beginning, a new start, different things, different environments, everything changing. I guess I'm just burnt out from homework. I still love the feeling of a new start that autumn brings. It just isn't as strong this year as usual. It's not as ... inspiring, I guess.

And Chicago's leaf-changing ceremony isn't remotely close to what I'm used to. The leaves just ... fall. I don't know if they're a different kind of tree brand (I know, I know, they're not brands, but it's late and I can't think of the correct word) or something, but the leaves don't go from green --> yellow --> orange --> red --> brown --> dead. They just fall. I love looking at large clumps of trees that are every color across the spectrum. Maybe I need to go on a fall foliage road trip. The colors are one of my favorite parts of the season.

Despite my lack of motivation regarding school and lack of satisfaction about tree colors, I think it's going to be a great autumn. Baseball playoffs. Fall TV premieres in full swing. Cool refreshing weather. Holidays. Football. New beginnings. Extra hour of sleep with the time change.

Have a beautiful autumn. :)

No comments: