Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Incredible McDonalds Dilemma

Lately, whenever I'm around school during lunch and there are no free lunches to be had, I've been heading to the drive-thru as a midday break. It's a chance to get out of the school building (which part of me is convinced is toxic, like "toxic friend" type toxic, not "toxic waste dump"), drive a short distance, save money on lunch and talk on the phone, all while taking in the sights and sounds of the changing seasons. McDonalds is an easy destination for lunch; I've been there more in the past few weeks than I was all summer.

I haven't seen Supersize Me. I don't know if I will. I like McDonalds. I understand the whole health food craze thing and how bad it would be for you if you ate McDonalds all day every day. But who eats McDonalds for every meal every day? Not me. I'm on the everything-in-moderation diet, which isn't really a diet at all, but more just a philosophy about gastronomic life. Don't overdo it, don't overindulge on a regular basis, eat whatever you want in moderation and work out. Is this such a problem?

Anyway, back to my McDonalds dilemma. I seem to have gotten sidetracked. And I think I sound like a gym rat in the previous paragraph, which I was in May but I've lost that momentum and I'd like to get it back. I need to do more than my weekly pilates and yoga fixes, and my nightly yoga stretching. More cardio, for sure...

Topic!

I went to the drive-thru today at McDonalds and there were signs everywhere about the Incredibles toys with the Happy Meals. I love The Incredibles, and the weekend after we saw the movie, I saw a kid walking down the street with a toy that was clearly a Happy Meal toy (I should say Kids Meal toy, since I wasn't sure it was McDonalds, but I think everyone calls them Happy Meal toys out of habit). My eyes widened and all I could think was, "where did he get that from?? I want one!"

It never occurred to me that he was walking down Illinois Street from east to west, playing with the toy as if it were newly out of the packaging. There is only one fast food restaurant in that direction - the McDonalds at Navy Pier - and if my brain had been working, I would have realized this instead of wondering about it. As much as I was intrigued by the toy, I unintentionally forgot about it within 5 minutes.

Back to today. I'm sitting in the drive-thru and every 2 feet there was a sign for the Incredibles toys. I was originally going to McDonalds for a fish sandwich, but I really wanted the toy! What was I going to do? I don't eat McDonalds burgers and I don't like their chicken nuggets, but I wanted the toy! Dilemma dilemma. Do I get both the Happy Meal and the fish sandwich, ditch the burger part of the hamburger, and just have a big lunch? Get the Happy Meal, ditch the burger part or suffer through the nuggets, and forego the fish sandwich? Order the fish sandwich and forget about the Incredibles toys which would just end up collecting dust in the long run? What to do, what to do!

I pulled up to the window, and asked the woman on the other end if there were any Incredibles toys left. Her answer? A curt "no." What a relief. Crisis averted. Small non-essential dilemma resolved through no decision-making of my own.

I got my fish sandwich and enjoyed it. :) But I do have one remaining question - do your sandwiches at McDonalds come in those cardboard-type boxes or in wax paper-type paper (you can tell I'm really observant about packaging materials)? I really thought they packaged the fish sandwiches in paper more often than not, once they got rid of the styrofoam ages ago, but today I got one of the boxes. I don't remember! Do you get boxes or paper wrappers from McDonalds?

Back to packing.

No comments: