Wednesday, November 03, 2004

No More Red - Ever

The sports curses and predictions are dropping like flies.

Red Sox

Redskins

Red States

I've always been a Democrat. I've always been a liberal. People who claim to be older and wiser claim that once you start making money, you become a Republican instead. It's not happening here.

This election has solidified for me, that until there is a viable third party in American politics, I will be a Democrat for life. The party needs improvement, but I'm so disgusted by the Republican Party that I don't think I could possibly ever turn red.

But you can't criticize me as being completely partisan. Notwithstanding the fact that my vote was probably not counted, I did not vote for a Democrat for the local Assembly seat. I voted for the Independent, who for the past 24 years has served as the GOP representative in our Assembly seat. Straniere lost a 3 way primary in a fractured Staten Island Republican Party, and ended up running as an Independent. I voted for him anyway because he was the best
man for the job. So any potential criticisms for voting a straight Democratic ticket and not thinking about the issues can stop before they begin. I voted for a Republican/Independent in the local race.

But my vote probably wasn't counted because none of the races were even close. Kerry won NY by far. Schumer won NY by a lot. In the House race, I voted for Barbaro, but he lost by almost 20%, so I doubt my vote got counted. Ignizio won with 65%. But it's not going to stop me from voting, and trying to make a difference next time.

We must keep fighting. For what is right. In the meantime, on this day of mourning, let's watch Jack and Bobby and see how Grace takes the news that Bush won the election. It's not going to be pretty.

No comments: