Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Radio Predicament

What happened to Chicago radio? I used to praise the radio stations of Chicago highly - they had 2 very strong mix stations, one that had mix music with a lot of new songs and one that had mix music with a lot of 80s songs. New York mix music stations never seemed to stay in business for long; they were always replaced by something else. (I wonder if 102.7 is still around as a mix station? I listened to it all summer.) So it was a wonder to me that Chicago could have 2 good mix stations, in addition to a not bad light station, an oldies station, and a top 40 station. (Just listing the ones on my speed tuner.)

Earlier this month, I noticed that one of the mix stations wasn't playing 80s music whenever I turned it on. What was up with that? Turns out that 100.3 has changed from being a mix station (with 80s at 8 and lost 80s lunch hour and everything) to being "Love 100.3." On "Love 100.3," they play a mix of love songs from throughout various eras, mostly of them falling on the really slow, too-light-for-light-radio level. Why did they have to switch?? Speed tuner of reliable stations moves from 5 to 4 (I have 6 stations programmed: oldies, 100.3, top 40, hip hop which I rarely listen to, mix, and light).

This week, I realized that the light station is no longer playing its traditional light fare because it's the holiday season. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and it's "home for the holidays" on light radio. (I remember ranting about this last year - who needs Christmas music 24/7 in November?!) The light station was one of the ones that used to play "more music in the morning," so now I'm stuck. Oh well. I was not in the mood to listen to "Oh Holy Night" this morning. Speed tuner of reliable stations moves from 4 to 3.

I basically do a rotation in the car now of oldies - top 40 - and mix radio. Unfortunately, this increases the chance that I won't find a station without commercials. I guess it's time to bring more CDs into the car.

No comments: