Monday, November 22, 2004

RIP LAX

Well that’s it. The first casualty of my television season has arrived: NBC has “grounded” LAX. (Stealing pun from the Zap2it headline because it’s too good to pass up.) I’m sad about that because I enjoyed the show. It’s not a masterpiece like Lost, and it was very hit-or-miss. But it was fun and entertaining.

The first nail in the coffin was when NBC shafted it to the Lost timeslot and put The 25 Million Dollar Hoax in its place for November sweeps. Can we find a dumber show? I think it might be less entertaining than My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance was, and less compelling than the trainwrecks Average Joe and For Love or Money. (Yes, I watched all of those trashy reality shows.) And the move to Wednesday was terrible. Putting it against Lost, one of the huge freshman hits with a devoted following? Ridiculous. Even I forgot that I was supposed to be taping LAX because of the time swap and being a Lost addict.

I’m glad I taped and watched “Secret Santa,” last Wednesday’s episode. It wasn’t fantastic, but considering the fact that we don’t know when (or if) NBC will burn off the remaining 3 episodes of the show, it may be the last episode of LAX I ever get to see.

1 comment:

John Howard said...

LAX was terrible, I don't know how they ever even made the show in the first place. The whole idea of some silly rivalry between the person in charge of the terminal and the person in charge of the runways is pretty ridiculous. And those characters were played badly, too by Blair Underwood and Heather Locklear. Then add to that the silly plots they had (I'm sure there are plenty of interesting things going on at LAX in real life, Airline on A&E has better storylines) that just seemed overly dramatic. Plus all the detail they tried to shove into the story. Underwood's gambling addiction, the sexual tension with him and Locklear, their past fling or whatever, the alcoholic security guard...ugh. This show was a train wreck. I didn't realize they had moved it opposite Lost, because I only watched it a few times, but that would definitely be the nail in the coffin.