Saturday, November 20, 2004

Week in Review

I've decided to start a new feature in the blog, a week in review, surveying exciting events in my life for the previous week. I think I'm going to do it for Saturday-Friday, for no good reason, although this first time, I'm going to do it Friday-Friday. I actually thought of doing a "2 weeks in review" since I have a lot of pictures from the past 2 weeks, but not only would that be an extra long photo entry (it's long enough already, right? I'll update the photoblog with them eventually), but I haven't sorted those pictures out yet. :) This posting series may not be very exciting sometimes, especially when it's mostly about school, but I'm willing to take that risk. ;-)

Friday the 12th brought the MPRE, the national ethics exam that you have to pass to be admitted to the bar. Despite actually putting in decent study time for it and lots of practice questions, it was still pretty tricky and I'm not sure I passed. Everyone else I've spoken to has said that they thought it was hard, so maybe there's hope, but I'm not sure.

Alvin and I went to dinner at Fox and Obel down the block. Amy and Oscar came to visit for the weekend (yay!) and we went to go see The Polar Express on IMAX in 3-D. I posted earlier about the movie, but I really do think the description that most sticks with me is "a beautiful moving painting." I think it's an accurate description.

On Saturday, we headed over to UIC for the Pow Wow. It was fun. I didn't get any really clear pictures of the dancing, but here's some shots from the event:


Indian tacos... yum!


Some of the black pottery being sold by a vendor from New Mexico... it's beautiful!












Cute :)

After the pow wow, we went to the Cheesecake Factory on Michigan Avenue for a late dinner/dessert.




Chicken Provencal


Blackout cake... so much cake...



The walk back home down Michigan Avenue passed all the stores.


Disney Store window display for the Incredibles - I love that movie!!


Checking out the Apple Store where we were to head on Sunday

On Sunday, we took some pictures before heading out to lunch and the Apple Store:



From the building's 16th Floor Sundeck:






(Yeah, I know, I closed my eyes. But it's a nice shot were that not the case...)

I think this week I've been coming off a double high: friends visiting from out-of-town two weeks in a row (yippie!) and the end of the MPRE (hopefully, for good). Both of those things combined put me in such a good mood that it overpowered any frustration with school this week, and I don't think I said "I hate school" this week at all! (I think maybe it's also the fact that I truly enjoyed my entrepreneurship seminar assignment and I didn't do a ton of work for my other classes.)

I had better attendance at school this week than the past few weeks (it's the MPRE's fault). Monday was school, Tuesday was school and a supersized musical meeting (with Pizza Capri - yay!), Wednesday was my seminar and a supersized TV evening viewing. Thursday I made it through classes, had a supersized Thai lunch on the school's tab (from a bar information session), and came home to freedom!

I've posted already about today's slow beginnings. I eventually made it to the gym for a supersized session, did some cleaning, watched some TV, and then it was time for dinner! Alvin took me out for my birthday at one sixty blue in the West Loop. I think the restaurant is scheduled to close at the end of the year, and change to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse (he's part owner of this one, I believe). I had been here once before, about a year ago for a firm offer dinner, but this was the first time with a real menu (instead of a slimmed down list of choices) and it was excellent. Here's a photo journey:




For appetizer, I couldn't resist the ahi tuna tartare. If you read my tuna tartare entry from a bit ago, it would be a very easy guess. I don't remember the list of ingredients included with the tuna tartare, but maybe I'll look them up. It was pretty good. A very different flavor from some of the others I've had (sweeter? more citrusy?), but just the right texture. And with tuna tartare, texture is crucial. :) It was yummy.


Alvin got the gnocchi appetizer. Also very flavorful and yummy.


For an entree I got the arctic char which came with chanterelle mushrooms and greens. Alvin got a venison dish. It was very good.


Alvin in the dining room of one sixty blue. Yes I know the picture's slanted, I took it that way.


With a view of the kitchen


Alvin's bread pudding dessert... when I tried it, all I could taste was banana split.


Very happy about having a yummy dinner!


My dessert: bittersweet chocolate souffle accompanied by raspberry sorbet. I know it looks sideways, but that's how it was in front of me. :) Wasn't the message a nice touch?


Our dessert table

And thus ends a fun week - probably one of the better weeks of fall quarter. The first 3 weeks of November have definitely been more fun than the first 3 weeks of October! I love it when my friends visit Chicago. :)

No comments: