Friday, August 05, 2005

Brown

I'm doing my crash course in Cantonese before my trip to Hong Kong, and I'm up to the colors.

I remember some of the colors from Chinese school or over the years. White, black, red - those I knew. Also, after hearing blue, I remembered that one because it was my favorite during Chinese school.

But I don't know if I ever knew the word for brown, and now I'm sure I won't forget it, because (like some of the obscure bar details) it made me wonder enough that I'm writing about it here.

Phonetically, brown is "ga fe sik." The word for coffee is "ga fe." So technically, brown seems to be "coffee color," since "sik" is the ending for all the colors.

Since I am completely ignorant about coffee (I don't drink it), I wondered... did coffee originate in China?

If not, what did they call brown before they were introduced to coffee?

Any coffee experts, please let me know. :)

No comments: