Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Forgetfulness

I don't usually post links to news articles, but this one made me laugh. And then made me feel bad for laughing because it's actually not funny if you were in the wife's position! I know I'd be flipping out about it if I were her, so I feel bad for laughing, but when CNN puts the headline as, "Man forgets wife at gas station," it's hard not to find it amusing.

Basically a man stopped at a gas station in Italy, didn't notice his wife got out to go to the bathroom, drove off without her (but with the daughter in the backseat) and didn't realize she wasn't there for 6 hours. (Okay, summarizing it like this, it sounds even less funny.)

His reason? She sits in the backseat with their kid. So, what? If the kid wasn't there, you wouldn't notice either?

And 6 hours? Did the kid not need to go to the bathroom over those 6 hours? Wouldn't you have realized your wife wasn't there? I mean, wouldn't you have realized in like 15 minutes anyway? Unless you wanted to drive off without her...

2 comments:

Eve said...

What a strange story. The weird thing is that it even merited an article on CNN.com! I guess hubby needs a cell phone! "Honey, I'm at the gas station... and you are...??"

Marissa said...

Yeah, it's so bizarre. Also makes me wonder about the 4 year old kid. Did she never ask, "where's Mommy?" Or was this whole thing a lot less innocent than "forgetting" the mom at the gas station? Or was the kid asleep for the whole 6 hours? Who knows. :)