Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Week in Review

I had this feature a long time ago on the blog, but I never managed to do it on time during school. I think it's time to bring it back. Basically, I'd let you in on what was going on in my life for the previous Monday through Sunday. I was supposed to write it every Monday... but it sort of never happened. (But before I go any further, let me just say this now: even if I keep doing the Week in Review once I start work, you're really not going to hear anything about work. That doesn't really belong here.)

I was inspired to start doing this again because I'm currently reading through my entire blog so I can work on the FYI feature in the sidebar, and I saw the Week in Review back in the November posts. It's not a bad idea, and I wish I had kept to it more faithfully so I could see what my life was like in snapshots. Although I suspect July would have looked somewhat like this: "Monday: studied for bar; Tuesday: studied for bar; Wednesday: studied for bar..." You can see where this is going.

My excuse for this entry being late is that we only got back to Chicago last night, and I didn't sign on to Blogger between the time that we left and got back. So, here's the week in review for last week, the week of 8/22:

Monday, I don't remember much about. I think I spent the time recuperating from the trip, maybe going to the gym, putting together the list of books I wanted to sell back to the bookstore. Nothing very exciting that I can remember. This feels like it was ages ago, but it was only a little over a week. (Now you see why sometimes the WIR doesn't work so well? I can never remember what I did!)

On Tuesday, I made a trip to Hyde Park where I drowned in a nice bout of nostalgia, and thought about my memories of Chicago. I sold a couple of books back to the bookstore, picked up some post office supplies, basked in the beautiful Chicago weather. I also listed a book to sell online, which sold the next day. That felt pretty good. Tuesday night, we went out to Narcisse with an early morning run to Korean Restaurant. Since there are other entries about this stuff, I don't really need to go in-depth.

Due to our late night on Tuesday, I slept through half of Wednesday. Once I finally woke up, I tried to pack some stuff, but I don't think I was very successful. Mostly, I was exhausted. I think I took a trip to the Post Office to mail out the book I sold. I don't remember much else about Wednesday except watching So You Think You Can Dance and Jin's episode on Lost (and crying). Now I remember. I was trying to recover from the nicotine inhalation and felt like I had a lump of coal stuck in my lungs. I did go to the post office. And I had a sandwich from Jimmy John's. That was nice. :)

Thursday, I tried to pack a box to send by FedEx, had an allergy attack, felt myself getting sick, watched Tortilla Soup and slept to recuperate, packed the box which ended up being 27 pounds of stuffed animals and random stuff, made a Target trip where they again tried not to let me keep my empty giftcards (I just don't get it!), and then had a wonderful dinner at Greek Islands. I love Greek Islands. I'm definitely going to miss the place.

Friday was all about packing packing packing. Well, sort of. I did some packing during the day, met up with Alvin's co-workers at Dave & Buster's to celebrate the end of his work there, had a lot of appetizers, watched a lot of Bravo while packing. Packing packing packing. There are plenty of posts about the packing, and none of them are very interesting.

We didn't start out as early as we had hoped on Saturday. We woke up kind of late, had a couple of things to finish packing, loaded up the car, and by the time we finally got on our way, it was around 2 pm or after. (And in estimating our arrival time, I forgot about the change in time zones!) I drove us out of Chicago and about 3/4 of the way through Indiana. My lunch was lots of Burger King fried food while driving. How... healthy. But it's convenient. The sun was really bright, and since I hadn't had enough sleep to wear contacts, I was stuck in my glasses and the sun glare had given me a pounding headache by the time I stopped driving. Not so pleasant. Luckily the way was mostly smooth and we didn't really hit much traffic. Had a nice dinner at Panera, and got in to Pittsburgh around 10. Talked to Alvin's parents for a little bit and then relived some of his high school memories through his yearbooks. That was fun.

On Sunday, we completed our drive, going from Pittsburgh to NY in about 7.5 hours. We had a yummy lunch at his parents' house and then set out on our way. Alvin drove most of the way through PA (the worst part of the drive!), I think I took a small nap at some point, and I picked up driving after we stopped for dinner at the Wendy's near Dorney Park. Every time we've driven this way, we always get hungry around this one exit and go to the Burger King... and then get back on the interstate and see that the next food sign has a Wendy's. So this time, we made sure to go to Wendy's. Finally. :) Although this Wendy's in Allentown was possibly the slowest and most incompetent Wendy's I've ever been to. Crazy. Hit traffic in Jersey right before the bridge, but luckily, since I know the area, I was able to go around a lot of it, and save us at least half an hour, if not more. Had good chocolate ice cream once we got to SI and then did a picture slideshow of HK for my mom. Nice memories.

One drive down, one big one to go. We only have about a week left in Chicago (so short!) so we're trying to hit all our favorite restaurants and do the things we want to make sure we do before we leave, all while trying to pack up the entire apartment. One carload and the place is still full. Also a lot of laundry to do. Unlike usual, where I pick and choose what to wash based on what seems most urgent, now I actually have to wash everything. Many many loads of laundry to do. And like laundry, now's not the time to leave the food we have in the pantry and go buy more (except restaurants). Must go through and eat everything. Hence, the salmon for lunch. I love baked salmon, but I wouldn't usually make it for lunch. :)

I don't think this WIR was very interesting. Hopefully, sometime soon, they'll be a little more exciting. :) (I would have added pictures, but they're all on the Dell... in SI. That's one thing that can make these WIRs more interesting than the past. Pictures!) In the meantime, I'm sure I'll be making lots of lists of what I've packed. Those won't be all that interesting either.

But now, before I forget, I've got to go to the parking office to cancel out my account. After all, my car's not even in this city anymore. Wow. Lots of stuff gone, lots of stuff to do.

What charities come and pick up large pieces of furniture? I have a feeling there could be a significant amount donated...

No comments: