Friday, August 26, 2005

Feast

Tonight, Alvin and I had a little celebratory dinner at Greek Islands, one of our favorite restaurants in the city of Chicago. It's a pretty big restaurant, but it always feels warm and inviting because it's split up into many different little rooms. It's colorful and the food is really good, and the place just makes me happy. I used to go a lot more often (when I was less adverse to driving in the city), but I still do love the place.

What were we celebrating? I have no idea. Not being packed... because if I were to load the "done" area of the apartment into the car, it would be 3 shoebox-sized boxes, an aero bed, and 2 picture frames. Maybe sending a box... sent a big box by FedEx, mostly stuffed animals, which ended up being 27 pounds (a little shocking for stuffed animals!). But probably just a nice dinner at a favorite restaurant before making our first trip of the move east.

It was a nice dinner. We had the same appetizer we always get, saganaki, which was just as fiery and yummy as always. (In fact, it tasted even better than I remembered, but that might be because it's been awhile.) We also sampled a special appetizer, Mediterranean baby octopus. Alvin got a lamb dish, and I got a combo plate of spanakopita, chicken riganati and vegetarian moussaka (intending to take some of it home for another meal). Alvin got a dessert of yogurt with honey and walnuts. It was a delicious feast.

And it wasn't without entertainment. Alvin ran into someone from his classes in college. A couple across the room got engaged, and the girls at the table next to them cheered and made their own little celebration of it (it was awesome). And a guy at the big table next to us took out his guitar and started trying to teach other people at his table the rhythm of the rumba. What an experience.

I'm going to miss this place.

No comments: