Sunday, June 19, 2005

Comfort

I'm going through my unread email (instead of studying) and was reading the NY Times Style newsletter from June 15th, when I found the following exchange.

The question posed to readers was, "Do you put comfort before style? Is it possible to be glamorous and still be comfortable?"

One person wrote in that the key to glamour is comfort, because it's unglamorous to watch people keep adjusting their clothes. Yeah, that makes sense to me. Another person wrote in that it wasn't an either/or question - to be stylish, you have to look good and be comfortable. That also sounds about right to me.

The third response selected for the newsletter: "Being comfortable is overrated and a bit low class. If you ... really want to look sharp, you have to forget about total ease and comfort."

As someone who spends a good part of the day in lounge pants, I must disagree. Being comfortable is not overrated. I wonder who that guy is and whether he wears a button-down shirt and nice pants all day long.

No comments: