Sunday, June 19, 2005

Time Off

So I didn't get much done this weekend. I wrote a failing essay yesterday, but none today. I've done assorted MC questions, but nothing substantial. I haven't even finished my contracts outline. This wouldn't be such a terrible thing, except for the fact that I picked up a Taste of Chicago brochure today and anticipate that I'm going to need to take a lot of time off from studying between June 24 and July 4.

There's going to be free concerts every night, including Santana, Moby, Lauryn Hill, Blue Merle, Los Lonely Boys, LeAnn Rimes and Donna Summer. There's the usual fireworks twice a week, plus the special July 3rd show after the orchestra concert. There's going to be over 70 restaurant booths lining the streets, and I have a hard time passing up food festivals. There's going to be a ferris wheel, water flume and carousel. There's going to be hours of chef demonstrations everyday, including one day when Ted Allen is going to be emcee and even Martin Yan has an hour or so to cook. Not to mention the Wine Garden and plentiful locations for vodka lemonades.

I've never spent the summer in Chicago, and may not spend July 4th weekend in Chicago anytime in the near foreseeable future. It's summer in Chicago and bar exam or not, I am going to enjoy it. So regardless of how much I have to study... I am going to the Taste of Chicago.

That means I'm just going to have to work harder during the time period around the festival and in the hours when I'm not there. Efficiency has never been my strong point, but I think I might have a strong enough incentive to be productive this time. And since July 4th is when people say the fear and panic really starts to set in for the bar exam, maybe this works out perfectly, since July 4th is when the festival ends. (Yes, I am rationalizing.)

But that means I need to start working now. Yesterday, I watched Spiderman on TBS, then Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle on DVD, then the Harold and Kumar special features. Today, I have no idea what I did for a good part of the afternoon (oh, I watched VH1's special on all the things celebrity kids are spoiled with), but I saw Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 1.5 times. That is definitely not helping, because it's reminding me of all the willpower I'm going to need in July to not read Harry Potter when it comes out shortly before the bar exam. It's so unfair. Why couldn't the book be released in August? I anticipate having it done by the time the weekend after the bar is over. (I'll be apartment hunting that weekend, and I'm so sad that I have to miss Venetian Night in Chicago. It sounds awesome.)

Alright, enough procrastination. I either have to finish my contracts outline or type up corporations notes. But I'm going to do something so that I can spend more time in Grant Park this weekend. :)

No comments: