Thursday, June 30, 2005

Fifteen Minutes

I don't know about other states' exams, but in NY, you can't leave your seat in the last 15 minutes of any session. Presumably, this is because it's the last minute rush period and they want people to be able to concentrate. So, to make the simulated exams as close as possible to real testing conditions (I admit, I do envy the NYC people who actually get a test run at the Javits Center), they told us we couldn't leave our seats during the last 15 minutes of a Barbri test session. Not to go to the bathroom, not to hand in your paper, not to stretch, not at all.

They told us that 2 days ago when talking about the simulated essay exam.

They told us that yesterday when talking about the simulated MBE.

They told us that this morning before the simulated exam started.

They told us that on the video with the countdown clock, when the clock hit 15 minutes left.

So, what do you think happened?

At least 8 people got up between the 15-minute-left mark and when our admin finally had enough and had to remind everyone again, that you could not leave your seats in the last 15 minutes.

I was surprised when the first girl got up to hand in her paper. And then the next person. And the next. From all sides of the room. I guess they figured, if one person did it, it must not really be a rule. But they just said it on the video! Am I the only one who heard the instructions? (I know I tend to follow the rules more than most people, like the rule about not carrying anything with you when you march at graduation; I hid a tiny flat bag under my gown, but some people carried huge purses. I didn't even take my camera, which, if you know me, is shocking itself.) But they told us this so many times, I didn't think anyone could have possibly missed it. Apparently, I was wrong.

Before that 15 minute mark, what I was going to write in my blog when I got home was: I know nothing. I know nothing about contracts or corporations or anything. What I ended up knowing the most about during the essays were the requirements for personal jurisdiction in NY courts. Most likely, that is because I just studied it yesterday, but I studied contracts too, and that didn't get me very far. I don't know if I'm just not retaining because of limited brain space, or if I just don't get it. That remains to be seen.

But it was really refreshing to get to the MPT (bankruptcy-related memo). Especially after yesterday's horrible practice MPT (writing a will). After feeling like a clueless corporations dummy, it was just so nice to actually have the "law" right there.

And with that, I should probably learn property. I typed my notes up immediately after the property classes, because I couldn't deal with the 90+ page outline and going through it again, but when I type up notes (as opposed to charting/outlining them), I don't remember much. And it was the couple of days before graduation when family was here, so I didn't do much studying. And I haven't touched property since. No wonder I was so amused when Barbri Guy said on the video yesterday about simulated MBE strategies, that if you're not finishing in time, skip a section you're bad at, for example - property. Yeah, that would be the one I dislike most. I've been avoiding it because I just don't want to do it. I can't do that anymore. *slaps self on the back of the hands*

Lunchtime. And then property. *shudder*

1 comment:

Law Fairy said...

They have a 20-minute rule for California, which was also broken at our simulated MBE. Of course, there are only like 20 people in my class, so they don't even bother checking IDs anymore. Which is kind of nice, in a way.

I've heard we can now check our results online. Yeah, I'm waiting until after the weekend to do that. I need to get *some* enjoyment out of this icky summer.